Copyright question

DocFm

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I noticed that Vsauce had been using National geographic footage (originally demonstrated in NG documentary films). Does it mean that he actually got permission from National Geographic to use those clips commercially ( the Vsauce video was monetised ) ?
Also, If you are using screen recordings of, say a website, can it violate a website copyright policy?
Thanks

SwingPoynt

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I wouldn't be surprised if he did contact them.

A lot of high end youtubers do their homework the right way. :p

Example: TotalBiscuit goes ahead and contacts game developers, sending them a contract of sorts asking for their consent for him to play their game.

Reactions: Daniel

DocFm

Reaction score
Thank you, SwingPoynt.
I also noticed that he posts links on source youtube clips (which he uses for b-roll) under his own videos. For instance, that NG footage was originally posted by somebody else on youtube so he took it and put it into his video.
In this case can it still be a violation of copyright policies for Vsauce or it's not his business, because he did't know the source of the clip?

Daniel

YTtalk's Juicy Lemon
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you, SwingPoynt.
I also noticed that he posts links on source youtube clips (which he uses for b-roll) under his own videos. For instance, that NG footage was originally posted by somebody else on youtube so he took it and put it into his video.
In this case can it still be a violation of copyright policies for Vsauce or it's not his business, because he did't know the source of the clip?
He most likely does two things:

1) Asks for permission from the owners of the content
2) Uses the footage under fair-use with links to the original content (Remember that this is allowed under Educational purposes, which is what Vsauce is pretty much all about) :)

Reactions: Gabriel

DocFm

Reaction score
Thanks
(Remember that this is allowed under Educational purposes, which is what Vsauce is pretty much all about) :)
I thought about it.
The question is: If your videos are monetised but fit educational genre can they still be qualified as educational? I thought that if you monetised your videos it doesn't really matter what genre they are because you're using them with commercial purposes.