Copyright on compilation videos?

Toni

I've Got It
I regularly see compilation videos, for example "TOP 10 fail videos" where someone puts together a bunch of popular fail videos. They seem very popular and I wonder about the copyright or what YouTube say about them. Do they fall under fair use?

I regularly see compilation videos, for example "TOP 10 fail videos" where someone puts together a bunch of popular fail videos. They seem very popular and I wonder about the copyright or what YouTube say about them. Do they fall under fair use?

The inclusion of a number of different pieces of footage in a top 10 list style video won't fall under fair use.

The main reason they're both popular and stay up is that the people who made the videos aren't of sufficient size to get access to ContentID, so those kinds of videos will pretty well never be automatched. They can still submit a manual takedown notice though. Or, you could send out messages requesting permission to use the content. This usually is accompanied by proper credit and linkbacks to their own channels/vine links, etc.

It's not necessarily that they don't call under Content ID. A lot of times, people don't know that their videos have been taken by these list videos, thus they can't claim it using the retraction forms.

I have this thing where I only watch videos when they're uploaded by the original creator, it sounds weird lol I know.

But there are people who are actually making money off those compilation videos because they use their network to claim the original video and they put it down, at least I read a few articles about this about the Network Iricom.
This is the 3rd time that I'm posting this issue about Iricom, makes it sound like I dislike the Network, but I dislike the people who use the Network's claim system to make money off other people's videos.

I have this thing where I only watch videos when they're uploaded by the original creator, it sounds weird lol I know.

But there are people who are actually making money off those compilation videos because they use their network to claim the original video and they put it down, at least I read a few articles about this about the Network Iricom.
This is the 3rd time that I'm posting this issue about Iricom, makes it sound like I dislike the Network, but I dislike the people who use the Network's claim system to make money off other people's videos.

More often than not, this isn't an intentional thing. They're just bulk uploading their partner material into ContentID without putting in their due diligence to ensure it's all owned by the partner.

The main reason they're both popular and stay up is that the people who made the videos aren't of sufficient size to get access to ContentID, so those kinds of videos will pretty well never be automatched.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks. I thought they were allowed because all the views they get and how long they stay, but now I guess the reason for this is what you suggest. But now that I think about it, I have found compilations with videos from large channels, like Just for Laughs, but maybe they have been asked permission or just allow the for promotion because I remember seeing comments from the channel admins in some of those compilations, as if they didn't have a problem with them.

Back