Copyright Mythos

Losoyo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey All,

One of the things I always see is this mythology or thinking that if 'I don't monetize it, I can use it'. Copyright is Copyright. You can post something up and be in violation of copyright as long as the other person can prove that it is a monetary hit. They can always say that you are pulling views away. If you post something up in it's entirety - you are in danger of copyright and a permanent strike on your account. If you are going to upload, utilize the Fair Use protection which means upload under the limited scope that you are given (commentary, comedy, etc). I hate it when new youtube channels with promise try to upload stuff and get hit by a corporation with a DMCA - then they really have no recourse. Anyway, That's my epic opinion for the day.. Enjoy!

Bryant

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Vlogger, Comedian, Reviewer
could you clarify what you mean when you say comedy? for example, could you use a character but give it completely new dialogue and put it in completely new situations?

Losoyo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yes, Comedy or Parody is allowed. Remember Copyright law is written to protect the form an idea takes, not the idea itself. Example: In starwars, a story about a boy fighting a massive entity against all odds in space is an idea that you can write about and be fine.. However, you can't have a character named Luke Sky Walker going against Darth Vader.. Idea, and form it takes.

As a parody, you can do comedy and act as the character and what not. So for instance - Spaceball, thumbwars.. These are parodying the idea - and they make money doing it. does that help clear it up?

Bryant

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Vlogger, Comedian, Reviewer
yeah thanks. I guess I was just wondering if I could say be "Luke Skywalker" but have him in completely new situations, just retain the name. But I could just as easily change the name. Thanks!

dylanmanincfanatic

If My Thought Dreams Could Be Seen...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey All,

One of the things I always see is this mythology or thinking that if 'I don't monetize it, I can use it'. Copyright is Copyright. You can post something up and be in violation of copyright as long as the other person can prove that it is a monetary hit. They can always say that you are pulling views away. If you post something up in it's entirety - you are in danger of copyright and a permanent strike on your account. If you are going to upload, utilize the Fair Use protection which means upload under the limited scope that you are given (commentary, comedy, etc). I hate it when new youtube channels with promise try to upload stuff and get hit by a corporation with a DMCA - then they really have no recourse. Anyway, That's my epic opinion for the day.. Enjoy!
Very well stated, great post =)