footbolito17

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I'm actually new here. So I really would need your help. I just would like to know what are the terms on youtube regarding using music or any audio not created by "ME"?

1. Technically I cannot use a copyright music right? But can I cut a portion of the music and use it? If so, HOW LONG is the "maximum" length of the audio before youtube recognize it?

2. Can I cut a portion of a copyright music and edit it, say for example on Audacity (Tweak a bit), and then use it on my video? can youtube recognize that it is a copyright?

3. I was thinking, can I use a copyright music and just put a CREDIT on the person (or group, whatever) who made it? If so, how do I, or where do I put the credits?

Thanks in advance for your answers... I will deeply appreciate your help. :)

Clyde

Reactions: PlayThis!

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey Clyde,

Fair Use is not to be determined by the content creator or YouTube; but by the court. They are the only entity that can decide for each specific case if the usage of copyrighted content can be deemed as Fair Use.

YouTube specifies the four factors of fair use here;
In the United States, fair use is determined by a judge, who analyses how each of the four factors of fair use applies to a specific case.

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
Courts typically focus on whether the use is “transformative”. That is, whether it adds new expression or meaning to the original, or whether it merely copies from the original. Commercial uses are less likely to be considered fair, though it is possible to monetise a video and still take advantage of the fair use defence.

2. The nature of the copyrighted work
Using material from primarily factual works is more likely to be fair than using purely fictional works.

3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
Borrowing small bits of material from an original work is more likely to be considered fair use than borrowing large portions. However, even a small taking may weigh against fair use in some situations if it constitutes the “heart” of the work.

4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work
Uses that harm the copyright owner’s ability to profit from his or her original work are less likely to be fair uses. Courts have sometimes made an exception under this factor in cases involving parodies.
So you can use content without explicitly asking the owner of said content, but I personally believe that it is always better to ask the owner's permission first (especially if it's music/sound).

Hope this somewhat helps. :)

footbolito17

Reaction score
Hey BAYLZE!

Thanks for your quick response. I really appreciate it. I was asking these questions because when I upload my vlogs on youtube, it says I cannot use it for monitization because of the copyright content. Deciding on what music or audio to use has been killing me lately because of these copyright issue.

Where do vloggers get their musics? are they free? or did they purchase it? where can I get free musics? not really musics, but audio clips, short audio clips are what I needed. :( :( :(

HELP! :D

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
1. Technically I cannot use a copyright music right? But can I cut a portion of the music and use it? If so, HOW LONG is the "maximum" length of the audio before youtube recognize it?
Right, you can't use copyright music without the proper rights. If you do, it will be found by the automated system (Content ID), you'll receive a 3rd party copyright claim, and your video will be monetized on their behalf (as well as possibly blocked in certain countries or devices).

There is no "maximum" length allowed by law and YouTube's algorithm is getting better every day.

2. Can I cut a portion of a copyright music and edit it, say for example on Audacity (Tweak a bit), and then use it on my video? can youtube recognize that it is a copyright?
You can try, but, again, that would not be allowed by law and the algorithm is improving.

3. I was thinking, can I use a copyright music and just put a CREDIT on the person (or group, whatever) who made it? If so, how do I, or where do I put the credits?
Sure, you can credit them if you wish, although that won't make any difference legally or help your chances in avoiding a 3rd party claim.

The simplest answer is- if you don't want your videos to become 3rd party claimed and monetized for someone else, don't use any music (or video for that matter) that you don't have all of the proper permissions to use.

There are plenty of 'free' options out there if you're simply looking for background music. Do a search for "creative commons music" and I'm sure you'll find something that will suit your needs. Just be sure to follow any directions they may have... most require credits - either in your video itself or in the description.

PlayThis!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Blunt Brittany and shaky cow have good points. When your on the video manager page for your channel. There's a option on the left that says create. Youtube has a library of music and sounds you can download and use in your video for free! Hope this helps. :)

Reactions: Blunt Brittany

Nebojsa032

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I suggest you to download some music without copyright and use them. There are some good songs you would listen to, too...So, they are the safest way for music in videos :)

ToxicWulf

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Basically what others have said above. The second video I've posted has copyrighted claims for the music, but I'm leaving it be since I like the music and they're not putting any strikes against me. However, in the future, I am going to look up non-copyrighted songs and use that and I would suggest doing the same. Simply googling NCS will give you quite a bit of available music