Copyright laws for cover version of song

cuteigcouples

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

So for our intro song we used someone cover of a popular song. We tried contacting her to get permission to use it but we haven't heard back from her. We put a link to her song and her youtube channel in the description so she can get credit for it. My question is would we still get in trouble because we didn't get official permission to use it?

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
And possibly you will never get an answer... :p

This is not really a method,
it is only what I do and so far I got no problems:
In description I use the phrase "Includes copyrighted content: "song" by "performer".

Just after uploading I usually get a claim from Youtube "this song is claimed by..." that I accept (do nothing).
If the video is viewed maybe they will put ads on it on copyright holder's profit. I got no problem with that...

The only trouble I got once was that one video was not allowed (for this reason) to be shown in Japan.
The real problem is to edit the video on a song and after hours of editing/rendering to realise that Youtube muted it.

:)

Reactions: cuteigcouples

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
se it but we haven't heard back from her. We put a link to her song and her youtube channel in the description so she can get credit for it. My question is would we still get in trouble because we didn't get official permission to use it?
She would be well within her rights to file a DMCA takedown notice with YouTube and give you a strike. If you happen to have 3+ videos using the song (and she were to file them independently of one another), she could have your channel terminated and you banned from YouTube for life.

If you don't have all of the necessary written permissions to use something, either don't use them or be willing to accept the worst case scenario.

Reactions: cuteigcouples

cuteigcouples

Reaction score
Ohh ok, we definitely don't want that to happen so we'll change it!! Thank you so much!