Copyright infringement

arbjones

Reaction score
I run a channel that has 30,000 subscribers. One of my subscribers
informed me a few days ago that someone was taking material from my lectures. I reviewed his channel and it's almost comical .. he has the exact same titles and names and clearly took my stuff. Even the playlist is in the exact same order! The question is should I contact him first and ask him to remove the videos or should I seek the advice of an attorney? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Xaegoba

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Definantly inform him of your discovery first so he isn't blindsided with a strike and if he doesn't respond or dosent take them down then I suggest taking further action. Its unfortunate what some YouTuber's have to go through but stealing and plagiarism is still stealing and plagiarism...

Reactions: arbjones

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
If it's a complete shot for shot clone of your channel, I'd say give them the strike.. I can't see the channel, but for me I'd say, the more unintentional it looks, the friendlier I'd be and the more blatant, the more forceful I'd be.

arbjones

Reaction score
Thanks for the input I think I will warn him first.

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If he is not using your actual videos and thumbnails you can not give him a strike. If your code is copy righted may be but I doubt this too. Sorry - plagiarism is very common on YouTube. May be attorney can give you the best advice.

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Both are valid courses of action. Chances are if you contact him first and threaten him with the law he will take the content down. So bad how people completely just steal other peoples stuff. Hope things work out for you!

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the copyright discussion forum. ^^

Reactions: Crown

arbjones

Reaction score
Update: I asked him kindly to remove the videos and he did