Copyright Claim for my son's Let's Play The LEGO Movie?

KGATV

YASSS
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer
Just because others do it doesn't make it okay, and doesn't mean they didn't get claims either.

Kevin8789

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Just because others do it doesn't make it okay, and doesn't mean they didn't get claims either.
Very true. Thanks for contributing.

I'm still learning.[DOUBLEPOST=1397017452,1397017281][/DOUBLEPOST]OK, here's an update:

After acknowledging the claim, my account was still in good standing BUT I could not upload videos longer than 15 mins. This was kinda weird because everything said this should only happen IF the account was NOT in good standing.

So, I decided to delete the video, and hey presto, I can now upload videos longer than 15 mins and the claim has disappeared.

I need a stiff drink after all that.

So.... I'm thinking about re-editing with ALL the cut scenes removed and then re-upload. What do you think?

Reactions: markkaz

Mithril

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd still email them for permission. Look at the first link in the last post I made and use that guy's template email to email Warner Bros.

Kevin8789

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'd still email them for permission. Look at the first link in the last post I made and use that guy's template email to email Warner Bros.
Hi Mithril, it's a great idea but I don't hold out much hope of someone from Warner Bros taking the time to respond to little old me and his 7 year old LP'r :-([DOUBLEPOST=1397034779,1397017942][/DOUBLEPOST]Update:

I uploaded three different smaller (a few minutes) edited versions of my sons Let's Play to my wife's YT account, all with the scene that was flagged in the original upload:

1. Original (just to see if same thing happened)
2. No Audio
3. No logo stamp

All came back the same:

Your video may include clips that are owned by a third party.

To watch the matched clips please play the video on the right. The video will play from the point where the matched content was identified.

Your video is available and playable.

Here are the details:

Visual content administered by: 0:07
Warner Bros. Entertainment

So.... NO blocked video and NO harsh red asterisks. All I needed to do with each video was Acknowledge and everything was good.

SO... why was my other video blocked and why did I have my account restricted (no long videos, no annotations).

I'm really nervous about uploading the file again to my son's account in case the same thing happens.

Help! :-(

Last edited:

User_26183

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Designer, Animator
Just because other people have done it doesn't make it legal or right. I believe that technically it is legal to upload videos if they are viewed as reviews or commentary however if it just a straight playthrough then it could be argued that it is a public display of the game.

Reactions: Mithril

Kevin8789

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Just because other people have done it doesn't make it legal or right. I believe that technically it is legal to upload videos if they are viewed as reviews or commentary however if it just a straight playthrough then it could be argued that it is a public display of the game.
You are suggesting the millions of playthroughs on youtube are possibly illegal and wrong?

Not only is this unhelpful, it is also factually incorrect. Many game companies consent to having their games 'played through' because it brings in extra sales and exposure to their game(s).

You've not taken on board anything I have said in this thread and have merely decided to point your finger from your lofty perch. Why bother being an active member of a forum such as this if that is your prerogative?

Last edited:

User_26183

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Designer, Animator
Obviously the law changes if the company gives explicit permission. I never said wrong, I suggested they may be illegal however obviously a lot of the companies do allow play-throughs of their games. If it is not wrong, how come so many people get copyright strikes for doing it? If the creators of this game do not explicity allow play-throughs then I believe they are against the law.

Read this article. It explains what is considered fair use. Just playing the game without the permission of the company is not necessarily considered fair use!

fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/

I apologise if I have upset you!

Reactions: Mithril

Kevin8789

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I suppose I am a little upset at some of the comments.

'don't do it, it's not right/legal' is not only extremely unhelpful, they are also based on opinion and little fact.

NerdDigestive, you do not know that Warner Bros do not want people doing playthroughs. Fact. There is a good chance that my video was 'blocked' by mistake. Fact.

I was asking for advice on what to do and if anyone has had any similar experiences. I put forward some evidence as to why I think YT made a mistake.

In the last 24 hours my position (that YT made a mistake) has been reinforced further because I added the video to a separate account and it did not get blocked, only flagged as 3rd party content (which I simply had to acknowledge).

But instead of getting comments/replies that may actually help me or shed some light on this issue, all I got were people pointing their fingers saying it's wrong.

I am new to this forum but I don't think I will be hanging around much longer.

Jeez.

Last edited:

Kevin8789

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Quick update for anyone interested; I've made the decision on behalf of my son not to do let's plays of any of the big budget video games unless we get written permission.

We will be focusing primarily on Indie games from here on in (it is much easier to contact and get permission from the developers as opposed to big operations like Disney and Warner Bros).