Copyright Claim for my son's Let's Play The LEGO Movie?

Kevin8789

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
OK Mithril, I understand your position is that they have not made a mistake.

So what can I do next?

Last edited:

Mithril

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was hoping this would be a forum that offered support. You're treating me like some kind of criminal.

OK, I get it. I'm the bad guy and I should hang my head in shame for putting my son's Lego Let's Play online. No ifs, no buts. I should accept it and move on. They are right, always. 100%. And I am wrong.

I'm not looking for miracles or even solutions but it would be nice to have some impartial friendly advice/support.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so snappy. I like watching Let's Plays and I enjoy content on YouTube. Lots of good stuff doesn't happen or gets taken down do to frivolous copyright claims. The copyright system is broken and lots of things work against creators. It sucks, I know. However, I simply cannot recommend that you try to go and stand up against the huge corporations who have every legal right to take down your video. No, they're not right, always, 100% of the time. Is this really a battle worth fighting? The law being the way it is at this point in time, there is practically no way you would win in this situation.

Kevin8789

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so snappy. I like watching Let's Plays and I enjoy content on YouTube. Lots of good stuff doesn't happen or gets taken down do to frivolous copyright claims. The copyright system is broken and lots of things work against creators. It sucks, I know. However, I simply cannot recommend that you try to go and stand up against the huge corporations who have every legal right to take down your video. No, they're not right, always, 100% of the time. Is this really a battle worth fighting? The law being the way it is at this point in time, there is practically no way you would win in this situation.
Hi Mithril, that's okay (about being snappy). I'm not actually suggesting I want to fight them, I'm literally just putting it out there to see what you guys think I should do. My gut tells me there has been an error. I'd never EVER do anything to jeopardize my sons channel.

The thing is, it's not about fighting them. It's just about me being able to put my sons videos online for his friends to watch, and the reason I don't want to just accept it, is because that would mean he couldn't put any of his Lego Let's Plays online and that would make him very sad. IF it's because they are not allowed then fine, but if there is chance it could be a mistake I want to look into it if possible.

I don't actually think it's a copyright strike because the video has been blocked, not removed. And on doing some reading it appears only removed videos are copyright strikes.

My sons account is still in 'good standing'.

Mithril

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi Mithril, that's okay (about being snappy). I'm not actually suggesting I want to fight them, I'm literally just putting it out there to see what you guys think I should do. My gut tells me there has been an error. I'd never EVER do anything to jeopardize my sons channel.

The thing is, it's not about fighting them. It's just about me being able to put my sons videos online for his friends to watch, and the reason I don't want to just accept it, is because that would mean he couldn't put any of his Lego Let's Plays online and that would make him very sad. IF it's because they are not allowed then fine, but if there is chance it could be a mistake I want to look into it if possible.

I don't actually think it's a copyright strike because the video has been blocked, not removed. And on doing some reading it appears only removed videos are copyright strikes.

My sons account is still in 'good standing'.
Well, that's good at least. I don't have a gaming channel, but I have picked up a few tips about avoiding getting your gameplay video taken down for copyright:

1) Don't use the original sound at all. No sound effects, no music.
2) Provide commentary so the video counts as "transformative"
3) Don't use any cut scenes
4) Don't monetize the videos

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Kevin8789

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well, that's good at least. I don't have a gaming channel, but I have picked up a few tips about avoiding getting your gameplay video taken down for copyright:

1) Don't use the original sound at all. No sound effects, no music.
2) Provide commentary so the video counts as "transformative"
3) Don't use any cut scenes
4) Don't monetize the videos

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...
That's really good advice. Thanks Mithril :)

I'm wondering if I am simply supposed to acknowledge the copyright claim and then the video is made available? Maybe that's all I am supposed to do? Acknowledge that Warner Bros own the copyright?

Is there anyone that has any experience with this?

Thanks.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm not a gamer but as you noticed, they detected the cut-scenes from the game. This is a big no-no nowadays. Another issue to avoid are songs that are in the games. I would just re-edit the game and re-upload without the cut-scenes unless somebody says that Warmer Bros doesn't want Let's Play videos uploaded of their Lego game.

If somebody has the link to Warner Bros policy on Let's Play, please share it.

Kevin8789

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I clicked 'acknowledge' and now my video is available to watch and also there is a notice underneath the video in my Video Manager in grey that reads:

Acknowledged third party content.

So.... what now? What does this all mean?

Very confusing.[DOUBLEPOST=1397016155,1397016071][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm not a gamer but as you noticed, they detected the cut-scenes from the game. This is a big no-no nowadays. Another issue to avoid are songs that are in the games. I would just re-edit the game and re-upload without the cut-scenes unless somebody says that Warmer Bros doesn't want Let's Play videos uploaded of their Lego game.

If somebody has the link to Warner Bros policy on Let's Play, please share it.
Hi markkaz, should I now delete the video and reupload with the cut scenes taken out or should I leave things as is (with the grey 'Acknowledged third party content' notice).

Mithril

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I clicked 'acknowledge' and now my video is available to watch and also there is a notice underneath the video in my Video Manager in grey that reads:

Acknowledged third party content.

So.... what now? What does this all mean?

Very confusing.[DOUBLEPOST=1397016155,1397016071][/DOUBLEPOST]

Hi markkaz, should I now delete the video and reupload with the cut scenes taken out or should I leave things as is (with the grey 'Acknowledged third party content' notice).
Here, take a look at this:

http://alloyseven.com/component/k2/item/115-monetize-gaming-videos
http://letsplaylist.wikia.com/wiki/"Let's_Play"-friendly_developers_Wiki

It's far from an official legal document, but.... Anyway, just email them for permission.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It seems to me that they are going to allow you to have the video on your channel. However, any money received from any ads on that video will go to the proper rights holder which would be Warner Bros since you acknowledged the claim.

Personally, I don't create content for other people to profit. If they had some type of shared revenue stream, then I would consider it. In most situations, none of the ad revenue goes to the channel owner.

Kevin8789

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My video has not been published yet. It's still 'scheduled'. I'm hesitant to publish it even though there are no more red asterisks.