Copyright Claim and Monetization

drb1966

Reaction score
I recently received a copyright claim regarding :31 seconds of intro music edited for me by a 3rd. party. I take no issue at all giving credit to someone artistic/creative work. I noticed in the claim that it notes that the video is now 'monetized by the claimant' and may include ads. I fine with ads, as I had it monetized prior to the claim.
My question is now that the claim is made is the claimant benefitting from the ads 100%? Granite, I know its pennies and not a huge loss financially on my end.
The music is 31 seconds of a 6 minute video, less than 10% so shouldn't the financial aspect of the ad monetization be proportionate to the percentage of content creation?
If the claimant receives 100% of the monetization, then it makes better business sense to dump the 31 seconds as the claimant is now benefitting for the remaining 90% of content. What am I missing? Thanks

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You aren't missing anything, because that is the way it is supposed to be. When you use copyrighted-content, be prepared to lose all money from the video, because youtube can't tell whether people coming to your video to watch just the intro, or just the rest of the video, or both. and since some people might leave after seeing the intro, not watch any of your video, that would mean that you would get profit from it, if your idea became reality. Also, the company could sue you for using their content, or put you on the path to your channel being taken down, so next time don't use copyrighted content, and be smart. There is nothing you can do this time, so just move on and learn from your mistakes. I'm sorry if I'm putting this very bluntly, I just don't like it when people try and monetise content that they don't own.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes, you are losing 100% of the money. Do not use any copyrighted material in your videos, period.

drb1966

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. And I typically avoid using copyrighted music. However as I mentioned a 3rd party shot and edited the video and after speaking with them, they subscribe to a music website that allows the use of music in video production. We believe the issue is that its on my channel as opposed to their channel.
I completely support protecting copyrighted material and those that have created it. I just don't agree with the policy of disproportionate monetization however I also know I can delete it or deal with it. Thanks again

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the replies. And I typically avoid using copyrighted music. However as I mentioned a 3rd party shot and edited the video and after speaking with them, they subscribe to a music website that allows the use of music in video production. We believe the issue is that its on my channel as opposed to their channel.
I completely support protecting copyrighted material and those that have created it. I just don't agree with the policy of disproportionate monetization however I also know I can delete it or deal with it. Thanks again
If the 3rd party that gave you the video has a license to transfer the rights of the music, then you can try disputing the claim and writing in detail why you think (believe) they have no right to claim - i.e. you purchased the video with the music from that party. They will investigate (probably) and if the party has the proper license, they will release the claim, or at least check with the party and save the troubles of other creators.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Use free to use music from the YouTube library and you will not experiance any issue with monetisation.

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah, but most of the music from the youtube library is garbage, or is over-used

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I understand your point, this is why I pay like 8USD per month to have awesome music in my videos and I don't need to worry about music anymore. From my experience, these kind of companies "clear" channels if you pay the fee, if the person paid the fee they cleared their channel,,, but not yours! I don't think these type of agreements are transferable, should be one fee per channel (correct me if I'm wrong) so is normal they claimed the video. This isn't that bad since they only placed ads, some companies they just want to close your channel! So be glad you learn a new lesson and be very careful while using music in your videos, even if it says NO Copyright Music,,, there still a risk!