Copyright Claim Against Me

ScouseMouse

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey guys,

Was wondering if you could offer me any advice because I've just had an email from Youtube saying there's a copyright claim been submitted against me (they do make a point of saying it's nothing bad against my account)

I've attached a pic of the email, they're saying the claim has come from Nintendo. The video is just me and my daughter playing Mario Kart 8 on the Wii-u, if I click on 'view claim details' it tells me the problem is apparently from 54 secs to 1min 25secs and 1min 10 secs to 1min 43 secs... (of a 15 minute video)

Those times are just us doing the character/car select, picking the grand prix and the very start of the first race. There's nothing in the video that isn't just regular gameplay.

Fwiw, this video isn't public yet, I just uploaded it (and got the email almost instantly) ahead of when I'm gonna publish it publicly.

What does this mean? Does it mean I wouldnt be able to monetize it? Should I dispute the claim? Am I in the right? Any info would be great.

Painter

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You can register with the 'Nintendo Creators Program' and Nintendo will share the ad revenue with you. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you're able to monetize the video without registering with Nintendo's program they can claim all of your ad revenue for that particular video.

Nintendo Creator Program: https :// r.ncp.nintendo.net/guide/

Reactions: KatyAdelson

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I've never had any luck battling against Nintendo on Copyright Claims. No matter what I say or how I do it they always reinstate their claim.

And any research I've done doesn't really help. The giant Youtubers who do know how to don't share and a lot of us are left guessing. [Edited by staff]

Last edited by a moderator:

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the copyright discussion forum. =)

I'd submit the video to the Nintendo Creators Program:
https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/

Nintendo will claim full copyright and monetization on the video in your YouTube dashboard (like they have already done), but they send you a percentage of the earnings separately to your PayPal if it is registered with the Nintendo Creators Program. ^_^

ScouseMouse

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Cheers guys, think I'm just gonna leave it and let Nintendo (the fuckers) make some money off me. It's not like I'm making any money off any of my videos at the mo anyway. I was reading the things on their creator content thing and I just don't wanna feel like I'm forced to stick to all their rules and take the chance of getting into trouble if I don't, I'd rather just do what I want without worrying

I've published it now anyway, the main thing is it'll help me get views/subs and build the channel

Reactions: Painter

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You can either leave it or remove the video. Edit out those parts and reupload.

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
It's Nintendo... stay far away from them when creating gaming content. SEGA too & Konami. They're the big 1s when it comes to copyright, they will try to screw you. SEGA was the worst out of the lot, I think there are still channels recovering from the mass copyright claims & strikes they did a good few years ago. They're a bit lenient now (from what I've heard) but you can't trust them without an official video policy. I always check a developer's policy before I waste my time creating content for their games, it will save you a lot of hassle now & in the future.

Reactions: ScouseMouse