copyright because im using another 30 sec part of a video to prove a point?

mathicious

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
There is no such rule, never was and never will be. Even using half a second of copyrighted content can get you a takedown (for example a copyright image).
Yes there is, I've seen this in many videos, I just don't know how it works, I'll look it up in a second^^

clerick

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Yes there is, I've seen this in many videos, I just don't know how it works, I'll look it up in a second^^
Just because a bunch of people in videos are doing illegal things doesn't mean there is a rule (it just means that they haven't been caught yet, or whatever source footage material they are using doesn't use content id or allows use for anyone). In legal terms there is no such rule about 10 seconds of content whatsoever, it's a misinformation myth that people keep spreading and perpetuating thinking it will give them any kind of legal standing (it doesn't). On the topic of parody is a whole different ball park.

Reactions: XXLRay

mathicious

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Just because a bunch of people in videos are doing illegal things doesn't mean there is a rule (it just means that they haven't been caught yet, or whatever source footage material they are using doesn't use content id or allows use for anyone). In legal terms there is no such rule about 10 seconds of content whatsoever, it's a misinformation myth that people keep spreading and perpetuating thinking it will give them any kind of legal standing (it doesn't). On the topic of parody is a whole different ball park.
So why didn't Jamie's world get a third copyright strike? (@ about 1:30)
she now has over a million subs, I think she it would get recognized...

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
I think that there is somewhat like a 10 seconds rule? I don't really know but I think 30 secs are a bit too much in my opinion... Well, I don't know but I also do want to^^
Do not post copyright advice unless you know what you're talking about. ContentID is perfectly capable of matching content shorter than 10 seconds. In addition, there is no hard limit such as a "10 second rule" included in fair use legislation.

Reasons why people dont' get hit for using copyrighted content include:

They got permission.
The content owner didn't upload the material into ContentID.
The original was modified significantly and no longer generates a match.
The video was claimed and is being monetized by the content owner.
The video had a claim which was disputed under fair use and the content owner did not push further.

Reactions: XXLRay

clerick

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
So why didn't Jamie's world get a third copyright strike? (@ about 1:30)

she now has over a million subs, I think she it would get recognized...
The fact that she has a million subs means absolutely nothing (hell, she has TWO copyright strikes already, why would you even listen to anything she says about copyright?). Just like how the other "big" youtube makeup artist with 6 million subs is being sued by the music industry. If you do not have permission to use the music/image/whatever, the fact that your video is still ups is again just lack of detection by the content id system or whoever owns the visuals/audio not pressing their content id copyright/content strike. Again, there is no 10 second 1 second whatever second rule.
Do not post copyright advice unless you know what you're talking about. ContentID is perfectly capable of matching content shorter than 10 seconds. In addition, there is no hard limit such as a "10 second rule" included in fair use legislation.

Reasons why people dont' get hit for using copyrighted content include:

They got permission.
The content owner didn't upload the material into ContentID.
The original was modified significantly and no longer generates a match.
The video was claimed and is being monetized by the content owner.
The video had a claim which was disputed under fair use and the content owner did not push further.
Exactly.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I once found a 'reaction channel' which felt really weird. This dude was 'reacting' to other big youtubers videos. He showed the full original video (100 %) in the corner while himself reacting over it. And it seems he can get money from it, so it all feels weird what you can and can not do.
sound like he got away with it cause he wasn't caught/reported yet or the original user has no idea this was going on.

Josh Keatley

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey FAMILY!

i haven't been on here for bit god a miss it!

I was just wondering is it copy right if i use someone elses youtube video in my video if its only for 30 seconds?

Like im using it to prove a point. and like... the news do it all the time! lol

and as well i know another people that use some parts of other peoples videos in there videos like i am. n they are not getting strikes for it..

plus i am monetizing it PLUS giving links to the original videos !. sooo will i be in crap for that?
I would go for it. I would definitely ask for permission. You could even make a border with their video inside like what =3 started doing this year. And make sure to link the channel down in the description and say in the video that a link to full video is in the description. If it is a bashing video I would be careful. The only way it could go wrong is by that person that you bashed flagging your video for copyrighted material. If you make them, mad enough they may do that. lol

I think that there is somewhat like a 10 seconds rule? I don't really know but I think 30 secs are a bit too much in my opinion... Well, I don't know but I also do want to^^
Haha! I thought there was a 20 sec rule. I found out the hard way that there was no such rule by music content ID claims on songs with less then 20 sec. I lost over 100k views. :-(

mathicious

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Haha! I thought there was a 20 sec rule. I found out the hard way that there was no such rule by music content ID claims on songs with less then 20 sec. I lost over 100k views. :-(
Uhh, man, that's hard :/ But I guess it's better they claim one video than many^^ I wish I had 100k views, tho^^