Copyright and Monetizing of fail and sports compliations

Pettlepop

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes for sure. I monetize funny cat videos and it works just fine. My channel is exploding!

sumi-tutorial

Reaction score
Yes for sure. I monetize funny cat videos and it works just fine. My channel is exploding!
great news
so what im trying is, is download the best videos and cut out the best scenes and put it in a compliation video and you say this is legal, or lets stay youtube or adsense wont ban my account doing that??

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
@Pettlepop -- please be careful about what information you are giving people on the Internet.

You can only monetize your own footage, footage from the public domain, footage under creative commons licenses that allows commercial use, or videos that fall under "fair use" (as determined by a judge).

Content under copyright is owned by another person. Content ID may detect the video clips from the original source and prevent monetization, or the original copyright holder my find the video and give a strike against your account. If either of these scenarios happen, and if you think your video falls within the "fair use" category, then you can dispute the claim, and if successful, restore monetization on the video.

I believe most sports channels either upload content illegally, claim "fair use," or are members of a larger YouTube network that has agreements with corporations to allow their members to use sports footage in their videos.

It is possible that YouTube has made some blanket license agreements to use sports footage as well. I know YouTube has made some agreements with several music publishers and game developers, but finding out if there are sports footage use agreements would require more research.

Reactions: Devin