Copyright and Fair use

Cristy Ella

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I made a parody video using a snippet from Onisions video. 10 seconds start up is me talking. 30 seconds was a snippet of Onisions. There was another snippet from Onisions Video however the snippet was actually iDubbbzTV. Then another snippet of Onision and then iDubbzTV. The video is 1.19 seconds long. It was a parody type thing. It has now been hit with copyright apparently. I put #onision in the twitter link and it happened a few minutes after.

Basically I took a snippet of onision blaming iDubbbzTV for the algorithm changes. He kept claiming that racist people are allowed on youtube but gay people are being demonitized so I added the "I'm gay" iDubbbzTV meme to it as a joke.

Now what I am wondering is "Does this sound like I can get the copyright appealed"? I am pretty sure he did it personally. Idk I have a vibe. It's the type of copyright where he gets the monitization..

Ralph Mickey

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I am not well versed in the copyright laws myself but IMO - a snippet should be a very tiny use of something like when you use a one sentence quote in a 10 page essay. By what you told me there is that your snippet is almost 1/2 your video and wouldn't be called a snippet. And I am pretty sure you outright using their exact name as a twitter link which is kinda like putting a brand name on there kinda rubbed them the wrong way too.

My idea is that you can rework the video. Put you watching the Onisions video in the back ground for maybe 3ish seconds so you can set the stage and let people know what you are making fun of then don't show it anymore. Then just make the rest of your parody video without showing any of the original.

Also as far as the twitter link - see if there is one for Onisionparody or something like that. I can understand why they called you out on this. Imagine someone making a parody making fun of you and then using your name on twitter to call attention to it... I would be a bit peeved myself.

Hope this helps.

Cristy Ella

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I also might mention that he does the same thing and even goes as far to make parodies of sick people (He made fun of Eugina Cooney by fake vomiting in the toilet). It just is on the nose for me that he would do that. I don't really care for the monitiztion but I feel like my content is fair use.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I also might mention that he does the same thing and even goes as far to make parodies of sick people (He made fun of Eugina Cooney by fake vomiting in the toilet). It just is on the nose for me that he would do that. I don't really care for the monitiztion but I feel like my content is fair use.
Whenever I battle copyright claims on my channel I try to make sure that 70% of the video is my own content and 30% of it or less could be theres. Which ensures that most of the content is mine. Although I am speaking more from "Movie Reviews" then actual parody. But as long as most of the video is yours I'm sure that it should be rather easy to battle the copyright claim. Although I'm not 100% sure if the clip is 30 seconds and the video is only about 1.19 seconds long.