Copying a persons entire Tag Box?

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Is there anything you can do about someone copying your entire set of tags, including your channel names and info etc? Every video I post someone just copies the tag box for that video.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I have no idea, but what I want to know is, how/where are they seeing/getting your tags to copy? And how/where are you seeing their tags to know yours were copied?

Reactions: UKHypnotist

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Ahh yes.. TubeBuddy..
So in that case, I'm guessing there isn't a whole lot you can do.. other than maybe put in a bunch of bad tags when you first upload, then wait a day or two then change update your tags and hope they dont notice?

Reactions: just Moto

Lekjih

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Youtube will penalise you as well as them for the bad tags though, it's against community guidelines.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the main YouTube forums. ^^ YouTube takes impersonation complaints, so if you think you are being impersonated by someone, you should be able to report them to YouTube.

Also, depending on the license that you upload your video under, you most likely are rights owner to your description. People who copy it word-for-word are committing plagiarism.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The best thing you can do is trademark your channel and business name. That was you can issue a dmca notice against commercial use of your name. Individual words can't be protected, nor can titles or short phrases. Unless it's a slogan part of your trademark. You can register copyright in your descriptions, you have to contact the US copyright office and submit your work in full. This could take the form of an "ebook" with your descriptions. It costs about $30. The descriptions needs to be "original and creative" and not just a statement of the facts or specifications. From my experience, Yt may/may not enforce copyright protection of descriptions. You can however look at the "impersonation" provisions as stated above. There's nothing more annoying than scammers copying your meta-data trying to get a boost. If it's done in a pattern of behaviour that can influence your traffic and hence income, speak to a trademark and copyright lawyer in the US, I believe they can issue a cease & desist letter for a few hundred dollars if your case meets legal merit. If they are copying metadata they are likely copying your video topics. It's the pattern of behaviour that will determine any legal course of action you can take.

Noobzilla

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have no idea, but what I want to know is, how/where are they seeing/getting your tags to copy? And how/where are you seeing their tags to know yours were copied?
You can see it using a few different extensions but you don't even need any to see other people's tags.

Right click on a video page -> View Page Source -> Hit F3 (search) -> 'keyword' and that will show you their tags.

With that being said, I never do that because TubeBuddy is awesome for 101 reasons

Reactions: The NotARubicon!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the copyright / legal forum. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1492108747][/DOUBLEPOST]If they're putting your channel name in the tags, you could flag their video for misleading metadata:

Don't use misleading metadata
Do not include metadata in your video that is not directly related to your video. It may be tempting to use popular terms or names in the description or tags to increase views, but if your metadata includes names or words unrelated to your video, you may receive a strike and your video will be removed.

Example: If you make a video about baking a cake and your video is not at all related to a popular singer, you should not include that popular singer’s name in your tags or description. Doing so may cause your video to be removed and given a strike if it is flagged.

Source: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7002331?hl=en