ContentID on Let's Play videos

theResidentPsychopath

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
rewards.webtalk.co
Channel Type
Gamer
I would like some guidance from experienced gamers on YouTube in regards to ContentID. I got hit with a couple of claims when I started playing Infamous, the original game. Apparently it has some scores during certain fight scenes such as the first reaper fight.

The claim was AdRev for a 3rd party, Extreme Music. I disputed it as Fair Play after doing some research, but it has not been 30 days yet and nothing has happened. I also contacted AdRev through Audio Micro as others have suggested, but they closed both tickets as solved and didn't do anything. They didn't even provide a response to what the solution was that was "solved".

Any ideas?

I know there are some major gamers on YouTube and they should have plenty of copyright claims on vids, so I was wondering what the outcome should be. I don't want to keep uploading the game and end up getting strikes of the disputes end badly.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Remove the in-game music soundtrack and talk about what you are doing in the game instead and you will be just fine. YouTube's rules about gameplay state you must keep up a running commentary about your gameplay if you are uploading this video type.

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You need to provide more information regarding the topic.

Were the claims for audio/visual or audiovisual content? What parts of your clips were claimed? How long are they?

If the claims are for audio content, there is not much you can do about it, since even the game publishers mostly doesn't have full rights to the music, but only licenses and they are not transferable. So even if you have written permission from the game publishers, third parties still can claim audio parts from your videos.

If it is for visual or audiovisual content, check if the parts are not for cut scenes or similar, since usually the game developers have cut scenes in the ContentID.

YouTube prohibits uploads of gameplay references in the ContentID, unless by the game publishers themselves, even if references appear from time to time, they are by error there.

@UKHypnotist comment regarding commentary - the commentary has nothing to do with the ContentID. With our without commentary, if someone claims parts of your videos as their own, then you uploaded parts that were in the system for one or another reason.

Source: I have ContentID.

theResidentPsychopath

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
rewards.webtalk.co
Channel Type
Gamer
You need to provide more information regarding the topic.

If the claims are for audio content, there is not much you can do about it, since even the game publishers mostly doesn't have full rights to the music, but only licenses and they are not transferable. So even if you have written permission from the game publishers, third parties still can claim audio parts from your videos.

If it is for visual or audiovisual content, check if the parts are not for cut scenes or similar, since usually the game developers have cut scenes in the ContentID.

Source: I have ContentID.
There was a subtle score in the background of a fight scene with the reapers on my first Infamous video, then again on the 7th video. I didn't even notice it until I got hit with the claims. There is no way to turn off in-game music in Infamous.

Per ContentID's own rules:

Content ID will match a user's reference content against every upload to YouTube. Therefore, applicants must have the exclusive rights to the material that is evaluated. Common examples of items that may not be exclusive to individuals include:
  • mashups, “best of”s, compilations, and remixes of other works
  • video gameplay, software visuals, trailers
  • unlicensed music and video
  • music or video that was licensed, but without exclusivity
  • recordings of performances (including concerts, events, speeches, shows)
As found on the Google support page titled: Qualifying for Content ID

They should not be claiming Gameplay videos. I understand it is automatic, but on my dispute and my direct complaint to AdRev, it should have been resolved quickly. It is still pending and my direct contact was ignored and closed as solved on the Audio Micro website.

After a lot of research, I have found that video gameplay is considered a transformative work, especially when there is commentary like mine. It falls under Fair Use.