Content ID questions and clarification

Superfly

Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice on some videos that have been flagged up as 'matched third party content' and 'video blocked in some countries'.

The 'matched' content is music but the channel in question isn't monetized. I think I understand the options of the copyright holder as they can either track it or get revenue from ads, so this means they can monetise the video themselves. Correct? What does tracking actually mean? Are there any repercussions I need to be aware of if I do acknowledge?

In terms of the video that is blocked in some countries, does this mean it simply wont play in those countries if acknowledged?

Also what does this mean if I decide to monetize the channel at some stage in the future? Can I still keep these videos? Do they need to be removed or can they simply still stay as they are based on what the copyright holder has decided i.e. track or monetized?

Thanks

mixbro

Reaction score
"I think I understand the options of the copyright holder as they can either track it or get revenue from ads, so this means they can monetise the video themselves. Correct? What does tracking actually mean? Are there any repercussions I need to be aware of if I do acknowledge?"
Yes, correct. They can monetize the video themselves.
Tracking means that the copyright holder(s) will receive reports with the views your matched video have.

"In terms of the video that is blocked in some countries, does this mean it simply wont play in those countries if acknowledged?"
Yes. The video won't play in those countries.

"Also what does this mean if I decide to monetize the channel at some stage in the future? Can I still keep these videos? Do they need to be removed or can they simply still stay as they are based on what the copyright holder has decided i.e. track or monetized?"
Yes, you can keep these videos. They will remain not monetized.

But remember that the copyright holder can block your video and you might receive sanction for copyright infringement.
(If you receive 3 sanctions your YouTube channel will be terminated).
[DOUBLEPOST=1395756233,1395756016][/DOUBLEPOST]You can actually read more at the "YouTube Copyright Center" (I can't post the link, sorry)

Reactions: Superfly

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
Go into the video edit options and look under audio. There is an audio removal tool which may clear out the infringing content and you can replace it with YouTube audio or just leave the music out entirely. It can get you past content matches.

Reactions: Superfly

Superfly

Reaction score
Thank you mixbro and Tarmack.

Just to clarify your comment mixbro re 3 sanctions. If I acknowledge that all 4 vids belong to someone else and 3 of them ask for the video to be taken down, the channel can be closed down?

Thanks for the YouTube Copyright Center recommendation . I will check it out!

mixbro

Reaction score
Thank you mixbro and Tarmack.

Just to clarify your comment mixbro re 3 sanctions. If I acknowledge that all 4 vids belong to someone else and 3 of them ask for the video to be taken down, the channel can be closed down?

Thanks for the YouTube Copyright Center recommendation . I will check it out!
If the copyright holder (the owner of the video that is matched) decide that he don't want his content on any YouTube channel he can remove the matched video and by removing it YouTube will delete it and you will get "copyright sanction". If you receive 3 of these sanctions (if someone delete 3 of your videos) your YouTube channel will be terminated. But still if you receive sanction you can contact the owner of the video and ask him for retraction. I myself had 2 strikes and contacted the owners (in my case IFPI and WarnerBros.) and they retracted the videos but I had to promise them that I will delete the videos and won't upload them again. That's it man...

Last edited:

Superfly

Reaction score
OK, Ive had a look at the Copyright Center info and I have a good understanding but Im not 100% clear.

From what I've read the content ID matches are different from copyright strikes that can essentially hurt your channel. Am I right in assuming that content ID matches are from copyright owners that for the moment are happy to allow others to use their content? I know this can change so this leaves me feeling a little uneasy.

Im just wondering what others would suggest I do based on the information Ive provided. The videos are promos for events and a business.

Nubaa

Reaction score
Content ID matches are computer generated, no human involved IIRC. They don't hurt your channel whatsoever and can be disputed freely.