Content ID match for using my own music

Lukas Kade

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I created a my own original music track to use in my videos 8 years ago, and this year a music company claimed a content ID match on the music I created in those videos and took the monetization on the videos for themselves. I never heard their music track nor could I find it anywhere to listen to see if it matched - so I just deleted those videos since they weren't getting any views anyway. If Youtube is going to allow companies to use the content ID tool to make claims with no proof, I say that is bull. Maybe it's better to not even use music in videos then.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The ContentID system is not at all perfect. Just appeal it, say it's your own personal creation and you should be fine. Nobody even looks at anything that gets tagged by ContentID.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
If you didn't submit the music to a database through digital music distributors like CD Baby, Distrokid, etc., and if you are sure you used your own music with all proper sample licensing, then the claim was probably a mistake. I've disputed claims like that and they were removed. ^_^

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Yep, you just killed any chance of making any money yourself from your music. Why didn't you dispute the claim? It I deleted a claimed video every time I got hit with Content ID, most of my most popular videos with self-composed music would be gone now...

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Nobody even looks at anything that gets tagged by ContentID.
That's not true. Only big audio labels and large companies have automatic claiming. In my ContentID I get potential claims and I have to confirm each match if it is valid or not.
99% of the times they are valid, but sometimes false matches happen (albeit very rarely).

Lukas Kade

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yep, you just killed any chance of making any money yourself from your music. Why didn't you dispute the claim? It I deleted a claimed video every time I got hit with Content ID, most of my most popular videos with self-composed music would be gone now...
That chance died a long time ago when the videos stopped getting views. They only claimed 2 videos anyway so it made almost no difference to my channel.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Lukas, could you please adjust your profile so your channel link is actually accessible? I've tried all the variations and nothing works...

Never mind; I found you by searching your name and matching your avatar.

I think your main problem is credibility. You have a channel with 5 subscribers, only 6 videos, founded May 26th of this year; yet you seem to be putting yourself forward as a "YouTube channel growth and moneymaking" expert.

I've seen someone else here try the "channel growth expert" path here on this forum; and he stalled out in May with very few subscribers also.

If I might make a suggestion? Setting yourself up as a channel growth and revenue expert when your channel statistics say the opposite, is a recipe for disaster instead of success. Grow your channel to at least 4-5 figures in subs (1000-10,000) before you try to put yourself forth as an expert in any area; this will work much better.

Before you say "she can talk with only 12 subs", the linked video is from my newest channel; I am a multi-channel owner.

To find my main, please search Hypno-Systems UK on YouTube.

Last edited:

Lukas Kade

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think your main problem is credibility. You have a channel with 5 subscribers, only 6 videos, founded May 26th of this year; yet you seem to be putting yourself forward as a "YouTube channel growth and moneymaking" expert.
I'm far from being an expert at anything, but you looked one of my newest channels. My oldest one has over 20k subs and 7 million total views - Blaster Mods. I think as long as a video has good content people aren't going to care how many subs / views / videos the channel has. The only way to get there is to keep going, unlike the other guy you said quit.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I'm far from being an expert at anything, but you looked one of my newest channels. My oldest one has over 20k subs and 7 million total views - Blaster Mods. I think as long as a video has good content people aren't going to care how many subs / views / videos the channel has. The only way to get there is to keep going, unlike the other guy you said quit.
Indeed! The main problem is that YouTube itself cares; so videos which grow in popularity will usually continue to grow, which videos which only get a few views in a couple of months, will never be suggested by the algorithm, and basically die out.

Blaster Mods? Can you please explain what that channel is about?