Contacting companies for products

Furry Gurus

I'm a girl!
Reaction score
This article is to give small channels some tips on how to work with companies, based on my personal experience. I have worked with KONG when I had about 100 subs and work with Snuffelbox now (currently at 230 subs).

- Tip #1: Which companies to contact?
Start small! Don't expect GoPro to send you their latest model when you only have 100 subscribers. Look for companies that have less expensive products. A very simple rule of thumb that applied to my channel is: Look for products with a price range around your number of subscribers devided by 10. For example, when I had 100 subs I got some products from KONG that are around $10, now I work with Snuffelbox whose product costs $20.

- Tip #2: How to contact them?
Most companies have a separate e-mail or contact form for support and for business inquiries. Use the business e-mail since you are making them a business offer. You will be more likely to get in touch with the right people in the company.

- Tip #3: What to say to them?
Don't just go asking for free stuff, but focus on what you are offering them. Say that you have a YouTube channel and ask if they "would be willing to work with you". Tell them what specific products you are interested in making a video about and why. That way they see you already did some research in their products. Also link some videos that would be similar to what you would be doing for them if you have them. They will tell you what deal they have to offer you.

- Tip #4: Type of deals you can get from these companies.
Companies don't always send you free stuff, but some offer other benefits in working with them. The possibilities I have come across are:
- They send you free products if you make a video/review about it.
- They give you a discount if you make a video/review about it.
- You buy the products yourself but they offer to share your video on their website, facebook wall... Some companies like a written article to go with your video before they share it.
- They give you a referral link that will earn you a percentage whenever someone buys their product through your link.
- A combination of any of the above.

This was my experience in working with/contacting companies, hope it can help any of you. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Sleazoid

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Thank you! That's interesting.

WeiseGamer

Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I use a lot of these methods myself when I request review copies for games!

Ruth Taylor

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
where would be the best place to find some of these companies ? like is there a directory for specific companies ? aha you can tell I'm new at this lol but its something I want to look at in the future

Furry Gurus

I'm a girl!
Reaction score
where would be the best place to find some of these companies ? like is there a directory for specific companies ? aha you can tell I'm new at this lol but its something I want to look at in the future
This completely depends on what kind of channel you have and what you and your viewers would be interested in.
You can contact any company in the world really...

Reactions: Ruth Taylor

Furry Gurus

I'm a girl!
Reaction score
I understand, but how can i find a legit company who will be down to do this, you get me? I know google can work, but google will only put the high ballers.... none of them will do that for a person with 80 subs.
You can always start local, or find companies that sell items of $5.

Marilia

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the post! Very nice to read and I like your rule of thumb hha

Reactions: Furry Gurus