Consistent narrative, or jump-cut?

SitRep Gaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi guys, so I started my youtube channel about 10 days ago, and the original plan I had was that the discussions I would be filming, and information I was presenting, would be shot as one continuous take. I've always been quite confident as a speaker, and felt that this would be a professional approach.

However, as I near my tenth upload, I can't quite help but feel as my videos go on, they lose a little impact, and I'm concerned it might be the long narrative style. I'm starting to think that maybe trying a jump-cut style, would give a little more punch to the commentary.

I'm interested to see if anyone has any thoughts on one long take vs a jump-cut style, or any other editing techniques to try and inject urgency or impact into commentaries explaining quite complex topics? I would also note that I show a facecam whilst commentating as well.

Thanks in advance!

PopsLetsPlay

UBER Gamer
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I like jump cuts more. To me, a constant narritive (with mistakes here and there) are only entertaining if the person talking makes it funny. If i'm in the mood for non-stop information, i'd rather jump-cuts from one informative section to another back to back

joannavlogs

Love always wins
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Jump cuts are great. They keep the action flowing! No one can really talk for that long without leaving a pause or a mistake somewhere. Jump cuts can make it seem snappy and on track. However it can depend on the type of video you're doing. Both can work and both can't work. For example lots of jump cuts to random bits that makes no sense. A mix of both works great. You just thats to experiment with what works for you

Heather White

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Don't worry too much about sounding or appearing professional. YouTube is a place where viewers want to see YOUR personality. I like to plan my videos out and have at least a few topics written down so that I don't trail off or ramble on and on. Jumpcut style is great and helps you keep all the best pieces in your video and edit out the boring or irrelevant stuff.