Considering Adwords! Help with info?

504RoadTrips

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hmmm this has really helped me out! :D Thanks for the info!

How did you get your 100 credit if I may ask?
I believe once I set up the AdWords account, I got an email telling me I had a $100 credit. Or it may have been after the ads started running. Since your last post was a couple of weeks ago, have you done anything yet?[DOUBLEPOST=1523803797,1523803663][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have a question for you.
Can you put ads on the video that you promote through in display?
If can the promotion will pay for itself lol
Yes, you can, but if someone goes to your video by clicking on your ad, they won't get an ad. Be sure monetization is enabled on the rest of your videos though, so that if they start checking out your other videos, you'll have a chance for ad revenue.

MedTerms

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I promoted what I consider to be one of my best videos with AdWords, and that's what pushed me from 700 subscribers on February 20 to over 1000 by March 20. I wish I had done that a month earlier.

It ended up costing me about a dollar per subscriber, which was what I had made in AdSense revenue over the last 3 or 4 months that I was monetized, but I think it was worth it. With the added subscribers, my daily video views are now double what they were before I did the AdWords campaign. Now, I just have to wait until YouTube is finished with their review process and hopefully start making money again.

One thing I found with the ad types is that the in-stream ads gets you a lot of views, which you have to pay for, but doesn't bring in very many subscribers. The in-display ads (which just appear at the top of the recommended videos on the side of other videos) get displayed to thousands of people, and you may get a click on the ad for every couple of hundred times it's shown, but they are much more likely to subscribe because they consciously clicked on the ad because it interested them. Once again, you only pay when someone clicks on the ad, so you get more bang for your buck like that. I bid 3 or 4 cents per click and completely disabled the in-stream ads, and that's when the subscribers started rolling in. I probably wasted $150 before I figured this out, and if I had known this, the cost would've probably been 50 cents or less for each subscriber I got.

Finally, I noticed that the video that I advertised is still consistently getting several hundred views per day, even though I canceled the ad campaign a few weeks ago. Analytics shows that 60% of the views on that video are from "suggested videos", probably because of the large amount of interaction (thumbs-up and comments) it got when it was advertised.

And one more thing I forgot...when I signed up for AdWords, I got a $100 credit towards advertising, so the first $100 of ads didn't really cost me anything.

I highly recommend everyone try it out. Get your $100 ad credit, and pick a single video (make sure it's your best work). Bid low, like 3 cents per click, and disable the In-Stream ad, and set your maximum to $5.00 a day. Let it run for 20 days and see what happens. As long as you shut it down when your balance reaches $0, it won't even cost you anything.
Thanks for this tip. Followed your advice yesterday and already seeing results.

Reactions: 504RoadTrips

MedTerms

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How's that going for you now? I clicked on your channel link in your profile and it says your channel doesn't exist.

Fixed that. Thanks - again!

Gained 2-5 followers a day with AdWords initially, but paused the campaign because the pace slowed down and (more importantly) average view duration took a nosedive.

504RoadTrips

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger

Gained 2-5 followers a day with AdWords initially, but paused the campaign because the pace slowed down and (more importantly) average view duration took a nosedive.
Yes, your view duration will nosedive while the ad is running. A large percentage of people who click your ad will decide that they're not interested and stop the video. The people who are interested will watch most or all of it and then subscribe, but that's not enough to offset the ones who immediately click off of it.

However, the end result of my experiment, now that the ads aren't running anymore, was that my subscriptions went up by 60%, and my daily views more than doubled, so I see it as a net gain. Watchtime comes back up as the advertising views roll off of the graph. The low view duration didn't seem to affect the video being suggested by YouTube either. Now that the ads aren't showing on the 28 day graph, 78% of the views on that video are "Suggested by YouTube".[DOUBLEPOST=1525280801,1525280302][/DOUBLEPOST]

One more thing...your videos are getting an impressive number of views with the low number of subscribers. Ask your viewers to subscribe. Even if it's just a simple line of text across the bottom of the screen that says "Subscribe for More". Viewers have to be reminded to subscribe. The subscribe link in the end screen isn't enough because a lot of people have no idea what that's there for, and/or they may not be able to access it depending on the device they're using to watch.

Also, you don't have a channel watermark, which appears in the lower right hand corner of your screen when viewing on computers or mobile devices. The watermark is a direct link to subscribe. I incorporated a red subscribe button with my channel logo into mine. Just another thing to remind your viewers to subscribe. You can find that under Creator Studio, Channel, Branding.

Reactions: MedTerms

MedTerms

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the tips. I had tried doing a watermark but it doesn't show. Will give it another go.

Reactions: 504RoadTrips

Oana

Reaction score
I promoted what I consider to be one of my best videos with AdWords, and that's what pushed me from 700 subscribers on February 20 to over 1000 by March 20. I wish I had done that a month earlier.

It ended up costing me about a dollar per subscriber, which was what I had made in AdSense revenue over the last 3 or 4 months that I was monetized, but I think it was worth it. With the added subscribers, my daily video views are now double what they were before I did the AdWords campaign. Now, I just have to wait until YouTube is finished with their review process and hopefully start making money again.

One thing I found with the ad types is that the in-stream ads gets you a lot of views, which you have to pay for, but doesn't bring in very many subscribers. The in-display ads (which just appear at the top of the recommended videos on the side of other videos) get displayed to thousands of people, and you may get a click on the ad for every couple of hundred times it's shown, but they are much more likely to subscribe because they consciously clicked on the ad because it interested them. Once again, you only pay when someone clicks on the ad, so you get more bang for your buck like that. I bid 3 or 4 cents per click and completely disabled the in-stream ads, and that's when the subscribers started rolling in. I probably wasted $150 before I figured this out, and if I had known this, the cost would've probably been 50 cents or less for each subscriber I got.

Finally, I noticed that the video that I advertised is still consistently getting several hundred views per day, even though I canceled the ad campaign a few weeks ago. Analytics shows that 60% of the views on that video are from "suggested videos", probably because of the large amount of interaction (thumbs-up and comments) it got when it was advertised.

And one more thing I forgot...when I signed up for AdWords, I got a $100 credit towards advertising, so the first $100 of ads didn't really cost me anything.

I highly recommend everyone try it out. Get your $100 ad credit, and pick a single video (make sure it's your best work). Bid low, like 3 cents per click, and disable the In-Stream ad, and set your maximum to $5.00 a day. Let it run for 20 days and see what happens. As long as you shut it down when your balance reaches $0, it won't even cost you anything.

I'm trying to pay for advertising following your advice but I'm a little confused : what do I have to choose for the in-display ads? The options that I have are :
-Search Network with Display Select
Best opportunity to reach the most customers
-Search Network only
Google search and search partners
-Display Network only
Google's network of partner websites
-Shopping
Best way to create Shopping Ads
-Video
Video ads on YouTube and across the web
-Universal app campaign
Promote your app across Search, Display and YouTube
Which one of these do i have to use for the in-display ads?
Oh, and if I used AdWords before,they won't give me the $100? because when I tried to open the campaign now, they didn't mention the $100 credit.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I’ve never used ad words, but I’ve heard people talk on this forum about how they spent a lot of money and in the end they end up not really gaining anything from it. I personally don’t think it’s worth it and I think you will end losing more money instead of gaining anything.