Considering Adwords! Help with info?

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I really want to test out adwords, I've heard that stories that it's worth it and stories that it's not.

Well does anyone have any experience with adwords? I'm considering using it for my recent videos, just really as a test, I don't want to spend too much money on something I don't know much about. However, I want to know if anyone thinks it might be worth it?

I plan to use it for my gaming content, just to get me more out there?

I just really have no idea how to use adwords or the general standard for it :p If you have any websites or tips on how to use it, I would love that!

Thanks for any info! :D

also hope this is the right thread, sorry!

ASMR Amour

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
meh from what ive looked into its not worth it really. Just working on improving your content and appearance of your channel and staying consistent will pay off more it seems. Doesn't seem worth it unless your content is professional looking already and you have a good chunk of money to put into it.

504RoadTrips

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I promoted what I consider to be one of my best videos with AdWords, and that's what pushed me from 700 subscribers on February 20 to over 1000 by March 20. I wish I had done that a month earlier.

It ended up costing me about a dollar per subscriber, which was what I had made in AdSense revenue over the last 3 or 4 months that I was monetized, but I think it was worth it. With the added subscribers, my daily video views are now double what they were before I did the AdWords campaign. Now, I just have to wait until YouTube is finished with their review process and hopefully start making money again.

One thing I found with the ad types is that the in-stream ads gets you a lot of views, which you have to pay for, but doesn't bring in very many subscribers. The in-display ads (which just appear at the top of the recommended videos on the side of other videos) get displayed to thousands of people, and you may get a click on the ad for every couple of hundred times it's shown, but they are much more likely to subscribe because they consciously clicked on the ad because it interested them. Once again, you only pay when someone clicks on the ad, so you get more bang for your buck like that. I bid 3 or 4 cents per click and completely disabled the in-stream ads, and that's when the subscribers started rolling in. I probably wasted $150 before I figured this out, and if I had known this, the cost would've probably been 50 cents or less for each subscriber I got.

Finally, I noticed that the video that I advertised is still consistently getting several hundred views per day, even though I canceled the ad campaign a few weeks ago. Analytics shows that 60% of the views on that video are from "suggested videos", probably because of the large amount of interaction (thumbs-up and comments) it got when it was advertised.

And one more thing I forgot...when I signed up for AdWords, I got a $100 credit towards advertising, so the first $100 of ads didn't really cost me anything.

I highly recommend everyone try it out. Get your $100 ad credit, and pick a single video (make sure it's your best work). Bid low, like 3 cents per click, and disable the In-Stream ad, and set your maximum to $5.00 a day. Let it run for 20 days and see what happens. As long as you shut it down when your balance reaches $0, it won't even cost you anything.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I spent $100 and I didn't think it was worth it. Ultimately in the course of a week I gained about 3,000 views and 50 subscribers. But maybe that's because my videos blow. I'd like to think not tho.

Reactions: tizzer65

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I promoted what I consider to be one of my best videos with AdWords, and that's what pushed me from 700 subscribers on February 20 to over 1000 by March 20. I wish I had done that a month earlier.

It ended up costing me about a dollar per subscriber, which was what I had made in AdSense revenue over the last 3 or 4 months that I was monetized, but I think it was worth it. With the added subscribers, my daily video views are now double what they were before I did the AdWords campaign. Now, I just have to wait until YouTube is finished with their review process and hopefully start making money again.

One thing I found with the ad types is that the in-stream ads gets you a lot of views, which you have to pay for, but doesn't bring in very many subscribers. The in-display ads (which just appear at the top of the recommended videos on the side of other videos) get displayed to thousands of people, and you may get a click on the ad for every couple of hundred times it's shown, but they are much more likely to subscribe because they consciously clicked on the ad because it interested them. Once again, you only pay when someone clicks on the ad, so you get more bang for your buck like that. I bid 3 or 4 cents per click and completely disabled the in-stream ads, and that's when the subscribers started rolling in. I probably wasted $150 before I figured this out, and if I had known this, the cost would've probably been 50 cents or less for each subscriber I got.

Finally, I noticed that the video that I advertised is still consistently getting several hundred views per day, even though I canceled the ad campaign a few weeks ago. Analytics shows that 60% of the views on that video are from "suggested videos", probably because of the large amount of interaction (thumbs-up and comments) it got when it was advertised.

And one more thing I forgot...when I signed up for AdWords, I got a $100 credit towards advertising, so the first $100 of ads didn't really cost me anything.

I highly recommend everyone try it out. Get your $100 ad credit, and pick a single video (make sure it's your best work). Bid low, like 3 cents per click, and disable the In-Stream ad, and set your maximum to $5.00 a day. Let it run for 20 days and see what happens. As long as you shut it down when your balance reaches $0, it won't even cost you anything.
Hmmm this has really helped me out! :D Thanks for the info!

How did you get your 100 credit if I may ask?

hasanpasir88

Reaction score

I have a question for you.
Can you put ads on the video that you promote through in display?
If can the promotion will pay for itself lol

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Okay, so I've made my adwords account. I plan to spend $26 to get the $100 credit, just to test out the service.

SOoooo I'll update with my progress.

I'm going to wait till' tomorrow probably to give ads on my video, which will probably be my farcry ones. I even updated the thumbnail.

I'll just see how I feel tomorrow! I want to keep you all updated on adwords as a semi journal/review!

Now important question, should I disable dislikes/likes and comments or something? As an ad I feel as if it would probably get a lot of hate for being an ad :V Any thoughts?

hasanpasir88

Reaction score
Okay, so I've made my adwords account. I plan to spend $26 to get the $100 credit, just to test out the service.

SOoooo I'll update with my progress.

I'm going to wait till' tomorrow probably to give ads on my video, which will probably be my farcry ones. I even updated the thumbnail.

I'll just see how I feel tomorrow! I want to keep you all updated on adwords as a semi journal/review!

Now important question, should I disable dislikes/likes and comments or something? As an ad I feel as if it would probably get a lot of hate for being an ad :V Any thoughts?
I don't think you should disable it.
Do you run in stream ads or in display?
Good luck and keep us posted!

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't think you should disable it.
Do you run in stream ads or in display?
Good luck and keep us posted!
I haven't run ads yet, but I think I'll probably run In-Display ads only (from what 504tips said)

Also thankyou! :D