Conquering Your Corner (of YouTube)

Michael Masters

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Your parents said you could be anything you wanted. Astronaut? Sure! NFL Quarterback? Go for it! President of this great land? Why not?

The sky was always the limit. And there we were, peering way up.

Somewhere along my own recent journey, the lofty places didn’t look so attractive anymore. And it wasn’t just because of the fact that the top of the mountain required maximum effort or had limited real estate.

Of course, that was true, but mostly it was because of the buzz of a shifting economical landscape. I’m now witnessing ordinary people with a unique set of skills solving specific problems for a specific audience, and becoming very successful.

This is what I’m learning…

We don’t need to aim for the stars to be successful. That’s where the astronauts live. With a good deal of effort and a keen eye for opportunity (which every daydreamer I know possesses) we could leverage the internet to search for a hefty handful of people who eagerly await for us to show up, make a promise, and deliver on it.

Kevin Kelley’s “1,000 True Fans” article gives us just the perspective we need to learn that, while conquering the world is a noble journey, it’s not for everyone, and the odds are slim. But if that pursuit seems like pie in the sky, we don’t have to walk away from it with our head down. We can find solace knowing that there is a corner of the pie available to anybody willing to work for it.

Out of 7.6 Billion people in the world, 1,000 is all you need.

Search Kevin's article, "1,000 True Fans (I can't do links in here). I hope it ignites a fire for you as well!

I'm a daydreamer, and I write about stuff like this every week.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your parents said you could be anything you wanted. Astronaut? Sure! NFL Quarterback? Go for it! President of this great land? Why not?

Somewhere along my own recent journey, the lofty places didn’t look so attractive anymore. And it wasn’t just because of the fact that the top of the mountain required maximum effort or had limited real estate.

Of course, that was true, but mostly it was because of the buzz of a shifting economical landscape. I’m now witnessing ordinary people with a unique set of skills solving specific problems for a specific audience, and becoming very successful.

We don’t need to aim for the stars to be successful. That’s where the astronauts live. With a good deal of effort and a keen eye for opportunity (which every daydreamer I know possesses) we could leverage the internet to search for a hefty handful of people who eagerly await for us to show up, make a promise, and deliver on it.

Kevin Kelley’s “1,000 True Fans” article gives us just the perspective we need to learn that, while conquering the world is a noble journey, it’s not for everyone, and the odds are slim. But if that pursuit seems like pie in the sky, we don’t have to walk away from it with our head down. We can find solace knowing that there is a corner of the pie available to anybody willing to work for it.

Search Kevin's article, "1,000 True Fans (I can't do links in here). I hope it ignites a fire for you as well!

Great motivation! My goal isn’t to be rich and famous my goal is to do what I love and to be able to make enough money to live comfortably.

Michael Masters

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Great motivation! My goal isn’t to be rich and famous my goal is to do what I love and to be able to make enough money to live comfortably.
Thanks Courtney! I absolutely am 100% on board with you. If I can support my kids and do what I love (and there's a demand for it), that is certainly good enough for me too! :)

Michael Masters

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
This is great advice! I’m with you guys. I don’t have to sell out stadiums, I’d just like to pay the bills and live comfortably by doing what I love. :)
That’s so great to hear, Cassarilla! I’ve been following your channel. You’re a very talented lady!

Have you thought about monetization techniques, or do you have some in place already that I missed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
That's a great mantra to have, especially for YouTube. I find that a lot of creators think "what should I do that'll make me popular" when they should be thinking "what should I do that people will enjoy and want to come back to." There's nothing wrong with popularity, but I think it's ultimately more rewarding to see that people are coming back to your channel over and over again whenever you upload something. That means a lot more to me than just having a video reach huge numbers.

Reactions: Michael Masters

Michael Masters

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
That's a great mantra to have, especially for YouTube. I find that a lot of creators think "what should I do that'll make me popular" when they should be thinking "what should I do that people will enjoy and want to come back to." There's nothing wrong with popularity, but I think it's ultimately more rewarding to see that people are coming back to your channel over and over again whenever you upload something. That means a lot more to me than just having a video reach huge numbers.
I concur absolutely! It’s really rewarding when your fans come back to you because of a true connection with your content. Thanks for your response!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CloudConnection

Don in 5

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer

Very Nice. I don't want it all, just a slice. I love making videos and would love to do it as a career. I don't needs millions, just don't want to struggle.

Reactions: Michael Masters

Michael Masters

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Very Nice. I don't want it all, just a slice. I love making videos and would love to do it as a career. I don't needs millions, just don't want to struggle.
Man, you and I both. My best to you on your journey up!

Reactions: Don in 5

AniTalks

Reaction score
Wow, I agree with this thread completely, thanks for posting! I am super passionate about creativity and I see my channel as more of a hobby

Reactions: Don in 5