Connecting & Networking with others

Skydmark1

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi Guys, so my channel is in it's infancy, due to upload my first video this weekend and still working on my channel art.

But I have a question concerning networking. This is something that I used to do in the Internet Marketing world and I can see it's useful for youtube as well. However, I wonder if there's such a thing as connecting with others too early. So if my channel doesn't have much content and I'm trying to connect with other like minded people, how likely are they to just dismiss me?

I'm wondering if I should get my channel off the ground first before trying to network with others? What about Twitter & Facebook?

I guess I'm just looking for the hard and fast guide to social media and networking with other Youtubers. Thoughts?

Reactions: UhoohExtra

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Networking doesn't necessarily mean collaborating, though. It happened to me to get in contact and become in good acquaintance with people bigger than me, I believe it's more about being polite and fundamentally yourself without wanting to force the idea of collaborations. If it's going to happen it will happen, and getting to know more people may help you through other means.

Reactions: Skydmark1

Skydmark1

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ya I didn't mean collaborations, that's a different animal all together. I guess I was just thinking that connecting with others to early might be a wasted effort if my channel is too small to retain their interest.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
You are networking every time you post on this forum, so you are already off to a pretty good start. There are all kinds of channels represented on here, some very small, some start ups, but there are also some channels with massive followings that post here from time to time.
I guess you may be able to network on similar Facebook and Twitter pages too, but I'm not sure what you could find there that is not already here.
On the whole I have found the YouTube community to be incredibly supportive. Everybody wants everybody else to succeed, so I doubt that the fact you are posting your first video will be seen in a dim light. If anything you will probably get more encouragement.
The only problem that you will encounter will be if you want more than just encouragement and advice from other YouTubers. As @Conso1727 indicated, it is unlikely that you will get collaborations at this stage of the game. You need to be able to give something in order to hope for getting anything back. Until you can prove some degree of success with your channel it will probably be "wasted effort" and rather demoralising to approach other channels in the hope of a collaboration.

Skydmark1

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
That makes sense and is good to hear, I guess I was thinking of it wrong. For example if you were opening a music store but all you had were 3 guitars, people would come in and develop the opinion that your store doesn't have a good selection and maybe not come back. Where as if you waited to open until you have a selection of guitars, amps, keyboards, etc, then people would have a much better view of your store.

BUT, it sounds like the youtube community if full of encouragement and support which is awesome. I'm not looking to collaborate, at least not for a while so that's of no consequence to me at this point. Thanks for the tips!

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I agree with YFS :) it's never too early to start building connections! Hell, I even joined this forum before I had a single video up xD People were (very kindly) checking out my channel and finding nothing. However, I don't feel that has affected my reputation here one bit :)

All connections take time to build, so there's no shame in starting early. What I find particularly useful is interacting with existing communities, such as this forum or followings of other Youtubers. So don't make a Twitter account and just post your videos, but use your account to like, share and interact posts of others (you probably know this already, but thought it might be useful for others reading this thread). This gives you a name in that community, after which they might check you out. No asking, no promises. Just genuine interest from their side :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn EVA-L09 met Tapatalk

Reactions: Skydmark1

Skydmark1

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks Dutchie, I did alot of that type of thing when I was building affiliate websites and I hooked up with some people very early on that helped me develop some skills. I guess this should be no different. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad