Compilation Videos

ASMR Amour

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sooooo I just was reading that compilation videos are against youtubes terms of service. Which I had not seen before today. Pretty much the main reason my channel has had such great growth is my long compilation videos I have made. I have seen channels that are very big that are monetized that their whole channel is compilation videos. I do have some videos that are not compilation videos, because I like both kinds of content for ASMR myself when I watch them. Should I be worried about the compilation videos since there are channels that is all they do and they are doing really well and have not been taken down?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Sooooo I just was reading that compilation videos are against youtubes terms of service. Which I had not seen before today. Pretty much the main reason my channel has had such great growth is my long compilation videos I have made. I have seen channels that are very big that are monetized that their whole channel is compilation videos. I do have some videos that are not compilation videos, because I like both kinds of content for ASMR myself when I watch them. Should I be worried about the compilation videos since there are channels that is all they do and they are doing really well and have not been taken down?
Where did you read that?

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
there is millions of them on youtube so i can't see you having a problem there. You could always split your video into say 6 parts and have those videos play in a video series playlist. Then you still have a compiliation of a fashion and you have 6 times more uploads also. hmm

ASMR Amour

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Where did you read that?
Examples of content that would NOT be eligible for monetization
  • You edit together a compilation of content created by others
But I mean I also do other kinds of videos on my channel, sooooo maybe if they start to crack down on them I wouldn't lose my channel I could just get rid of the comp. videos? idk

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
When you post, you agree that you have the proper rights to everything in your video. Unless you have received permission from each of the owners who's work you use in your compilations, you'd be violating that.

If you're simply building compilation videos without adding any critique or edits that could justify you using their work under fair use, any of the owners could submit a DMCA takedown notice and issue you a copyright strike. Get 3 of them and you win a lifetime ban from YouTube and Google products.

Reactions: UhoohExtra

ASMR Amour

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When you post, you agree that you have the proper rights to everything in your video. Unless you have received permission from each of the owners who's work you use in your compilations, you'd be violating that.

If you're simply building compilation videos without adding any critique or edits that could justify you using their work under fair use, any of the owners could submit a DMCA takedown notice and issue you a copyright strike. Get 3 of them and you win a lifetime ban from YouTube and Google products.
Does giving them credit work? because there has been times ive tried to get permission from people on things but never hear anything back from them even with multiple tries.
That also makes me wonder how these big compilation channels have lasted so long though, like does youtube think making money from it outways the rules they supposedly have in place?
Does youtube ignore them because they do realize that lots of people like them so they want to keep the viewers? I really enjoy compilation videos for asmr purposes that is why it is some of what I do on my channel.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Does giving them credit work? because there has been times ive tried to get permission from people on things but never hear anything back from them even with multiple tries.
Not at all. Without expressed written permission, it's stealing. It doesn't matter how many times or through how many different means you may go to ask, it's always a no until you hear otherwise.

That also makes me wonder how these big compilation channels have lasted so long though, like does youtube think making money from it outways the rules they supposedly have in place?
Does youtube ignore them because they do realize that lots of people like them so they want to keep the viewers?
There are plenty of possibilities... they could have acquired the necessary rights - either by simply asking permission or, more than likely by purchasing/ licensing them, they could have received a copyright notice and the original owners of the videos could be collecting any and all income earned on that video, or they simply might be lucky, haven't been found yet, are could be struck down at any minute.

Remember, for every video you see breaking the rules, there could easily be hundreds that have already been removed.

ASMR Amour

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not at all. Without expressed written permission, it's stealing. It doesn't matter how many times or through how many different means you may go to ask, it's always a no until you hear otherwise.

There are plenty of possibilities... they could have acquired the necessary rights - either by simply asking permission or, more than likely by purchasing/ licensing them, they could have received a copyright notice and the original owners of the videos could be collecting any and all income earned on that video, or they simply might be lucky, haven't been found yet, are could be struck down at any minute.

Remember, for every video you see breaking the rules, there could easily be hundreds that have already been removed.
I really enjoy making my other content that isn't those videos just would stink to lose some momentum that I gained from those to be honest.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@ASMR Amour It's the overall use of third-party copyright media without permission which is against the TOS; not compilation videos in general. Third party content compilations are generally not acceptable for monetization, as you pasted from the Help Article.

I've done compilation videos from my own original hypnosis session audios for example; and they are monetizable.

Reactions: markkaz

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I subscribe to a few channels where they use snippets of other videos in a compilation fashion. They upload no other content.
They are monetised and they do not have permission to use any of the content and they have been going for years.
I believe they use a maximum of 15 seconds per 'borrowed video'. Overlay the video with YouTubes royalty free music / add some voiceover / adds links to the original content.
I know they dont have permission because they state it in the description. And for anyone that does not want their content to be used to contact the channel for deletion request / compensation.