Commentary or No commentary? Single Video or Indvidual episodes?

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I wanted to combine ask 2 questions here just so I didn't spam! :D Also hoped I posted this in the right section. :(

Commentary or No Commentary?
So basically should I speak in my videos? I have a decent mic (snowball something something), and I record with OBS. However the equipment is only half the battle, I would say my voice is rather bad. I sound like a 12 yr old boy who smokes. I'm also not sure about how good the commentary would be?

Should I record in single videos or individual episodes?
I am going to play a series of flash games, point and click ones, and I was wondering if I should combine them into one whole video, or make individual episodes. I'm considering doing one whole episode. I think they're medium length?

Okie dokie, excited to see what y'all say. :D

theResidentPsychopath

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
rewards.webtalk.co
Channel Type
Gamer
I wanted to combine ask 2 questions here just so I didn't spam! :D Also hoped I posted this in the right section. :(

Commentary or No Commentary?
So basically should I speak in my videos? I have a decent mic (snowball something something), and I record with OBS. However the equipment is only half the battle, I would say my voice is rather bad. I sound like a 12 yr old boy who smokes. I'm also not sure about how good the commentary would be?
I don't like how I sound on audio either. If you check my earlier gameplay vids, I sound a bit awkward because I have social issues. As I get to later vids and newer series, I sound more confident. I did find that my lack of sunlight was causing vitamin d deficiency and started taking supplements which helped me kick some depression also.

I prefer my gameplay with commentary (not just me, but those I watch). When it's funny off the cuff, it keeps me around. Take for example theRadBrad who has some seriously funny commentary - especially his older stuff. There is an exception to that rule for me, like when I found a channel that did nothing but video game movies (all cut-scenes and little gameplay) after wanting to watch the entire mass effect series for old time sake.

To shorten an already long answer, go for commentary and work on confidence and natural speaking practice. At first, you may sound forced. Then you forget the mic is there and just have fun.

Should I record in single videos or individual episodes?
I am going to play a series of flash games, point and click ones, and I was wondering if I should combine them into one whole video, or make individual episodes. I'm considering doing one whole episode. I think they're medium length?
Some people don't have time, or quality internet for longer videos. Others prefer them. I don't go by a set rule. I try not to make them long, but sometimes they can reach an hour. Mostly no longer than 45 minutes, sometimes 30, and many around 20 minutes or so. It all depends on when you land at a good stopping point for the game. With flash games that don't have an engaging story, it is easier to plan out the time. I would probably go for 15-20 minute vids in that case.[DOUBLEPOST=1521006066,1521005908][/DOUBLEPOST]Btw, for me I still struggle to sound natural and happier. I started my channel in the hopes of making friends - something I didn't have much of my entire life, and become more social. I don't know what your motivations and goals are, but they should power your decision on how to proceed.

Reactions: Digital Beast

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thank you! I’ll defiantly try what you said now :D ! Thanks!