Commentaries

BowsMind

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello everyone!

I am a very talkative person but when it comes to playing a game and doing a live commentary, I always end up running out of things to say and go blank which then means there is a ton of cutting and editing.

How do I improve this?
What do I talk about and how do I talk non-stop the whole way through?

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I tend to run into this problem myself but have figured out some creative solutions to keep it as interesting as I can. To me it really starts with the game. Is the game visually interesting enough to warrant silence as stuff is running around on screen? Can you show what's on screen without worrying about a copyright claim? If you can answer yes to one or both then you being a visual storyteller you won't need interesting commentary throughout those sections.

Now for me I personally film/record about 1 hour 1/2 to 2 hours of footage per video and then cut them up to 18-35 minute videos at most. That way I can decide what stays and what gets cut. So if there is silence, bad commentary, something inappropriate that was said, interruptions or anything else that might ruin the video/audio I can just cut it.

Lastly the worst I've had was there was nothing to talk about a game during live recording that was interesting throughout. Too much silence. For those I was thinking post-commentary would be better from all the players together since we won't be as tired or focused when watching it back.

Those are just a few of my solutions to help with the commentary issue. But they don't apply for live streaming either. Hope that helps regardless and best of luck. =]

Reactions: CrashCraze

CrashCraze

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Completely agree with @Farley Productions ! Doing live commentary on games can be nerve wracking at first when you first start doing it but as you keep going it gets easier and easier as you get more comfortable! If you start to run out of things to say, my tip is to just start talking about what you're thinking! Share with your audience what you're doing and that could even help you figure out what you want to talk in detail about next! Sometimes theres points in the game where its okay to be silent like Farley said! If theres cut scenes or even points where there isn't much going on! Have fun with your commentaries and engage with your audience and it'll be a good time!

Reactions: Farley Productions

spartanfit1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I totally agree with everything said so far. My first couple videos with live commentary were very empty in ways of commentary. Now I just talk about whatever is on my mind that pertains to the game I'm playing.

Just keep working at it and the random non-stop talking will come naturally while playing, especially if you aren't playing super competitively and just having fun while playing and recording.

Reactions: CrashCraze