Color grading feedback

Patrik P

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm relatively new in the world of videography and I'm getting my knowledge from everywhere I can(standard learning curve, as much tutorials as possible).

I've been following Cody Blue on YT because I also shoot with a Sony and I like the looks of his videos.

Yesterday I shot a new video of my kid going to get his hair cut and I decided to go with Cody Blue's tips on color grading.

The video was shot in Cine4, applied CB "Tahoe" LUT and graded as per his instructions.

Now, I don't have many, if any, people around me from which I could get a constructive feedback and my channel has only 34 subs, which don't talk about my videos in the way I would like(to give me feedback on my videography skills).

So I would like to get some feedback from you guys, what do you think, is the color grade ok, what do you think about the shots etc..
Thank you in advance, any kind of feedback will be much appreciated!

Here's the video:

xxxx I can't link the video so if you got the time, it's on my channel, called "Mr. Luke's haircut" xxxx

Cheers!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the review / feedback forum. :)

Lopideon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It takes time for the right person to come along.
I'm no expert, but I'll put in my two cents as a viewer...

I watched your most recent video, and it started beautifully, but when you got outside, the color became a little dingier. Still looked okay though.
My main complaint was the intro was a dingy blue/grayish. I would play with it and make it a little more fun/ vibrant; the colors there were kind of depressed.

Last edited:

Patrik P

Reaction score

I watched your most recent video, and it started beautifully, but when you got outside, the color became a little dingier. Still looked okay though.
My main complaint was the intro was a dingy blue/grayish. I would play with it and make it a little more fun/ vibrant; the colors there were kind of depressed.
The "First shots with the a6500" video?

That one was kind of weird to get right in post, I plan to shoot log footage next time and see how that goes...

As for the intro, it's a mix of all kinds of videos and to be honest, I didn't put a lot of effort in colors on that one, I was stoked to finally make one :D

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! ;)

Patrik P

Reaction score

Yup

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
Yeah, as I said, that was kind of weird, don't know why...

I know I still have a LOT to learn regarding coloring and grading, good thing is that I enjoy doing it so it won't be a problem :D

TheAllSenses

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm relatively new in the world of videography and I'm getting my knowledge from everywhere I can(standard learning curve, as much tutorials as possible).

I've been following Cody Blue on YT because I also shoot with a Sony and I like the looks of his videos.

Yesterday I shot a new video of my kid going to get his hair cut and I decided to go with Cody Blue's tips on color grading.

The video was shot in Cine4, applied CB "Tahoe" LUT and graded as per his instructions.

Now, I don't have many, if any, people around me from which I could get a constructive feedback and my channel has only 34 subs, which don't talk about my videos in the way I would like(to give me feedback on my videography skills).

So I would like to get some feedback from you guys, what do you think, is the color grade ok, what do you think about the shots etc..
Thank you in advance, any kind of feedback will be much appreciated!

Here's the video:

xxxx I can't link the video so if you got the time, it's on my channel, called "Mr. Luke's haircut" xxxx

Cheers!
Overall, I think colors look natural and fine, but some indoors scenes seem (on my screen) underexposed (I can hardly see the boy's eyes for example) and the shadows are a bit desaturated. You should keep color grading consistency between shots unless you shouldn't for some reason. I feel that there's something wrong with focusing or DOF unless it's done on purpose.

Reactions: Patrik P

Patrik P

Reaction score
Overall, I think colors look natural and fine, but some indoors scenes seem (on my screen) underexposed (I can hardly see the boy's eyes for example) and the shadows are a bit desaturated. You should keep color grading consistency between shots unless you shouldn't for some reason. I feel that there's something wrong with focusing or DOF unless it's done on purpose.
Thanks for the feedback!

I see what you mean, I really should get in depth on how to use scopes to see what is and what isn't ok. There's not much sense in relying on the footage I watch on my monitor because it probably isn't calibrated as it should be :D

Appreciate it!