College drop out/YouTube career

Amber lynx

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I agree. There's no need to give up college to grow a YouTube channel a all. That being said I got to say I admire you having the guts to start Youtube full time.:up2: You have to let us all know how this works out for you so keep us posted please:)
Best of luck to you with this full time YouTube project:)
Thanks for the positivity much appreciated and Typo I'm not giving up I'm just done I've been there 4 years and have 2 more to go for broadcast journalism and I have no plans on being a news caster[DOUBLEPOST=1497746674,1497746548][/DOUBLEPOST]
I just had a look at some of your videos Amber, you seem really nice like someone I could hang out with (also I subbed, haha)

To be honest, I'm doing my Masters atm but it's about to come to an end. I just made the desicion to work part-time in a rubbish job just to support my channel! (Fingers crossed it works!). For me it's tough, my degree has cost a lot of money and now I'm trying to pursue Youtube. Wuhhh!

If you need to prove your channel's legitimacy as a job to someone, have you thought of doing a business plan?
Most people begin by identifying thier Strengths, Weaknesses, Oppurtunities and Threats - they then continue to map out the direction of thier business (so your channel). What's your unique selling point and how can you grow from this?

Not only does this show you're serious, but it also means that you have a clear plan to stick to if you doubt yourself or get a little stuck.

Hope that helps girl!
Thank you that did help and that explanation only goes so far with the older generation. All I could do is prove them wrong. Good luck persuing that masters ✌

Mr.Human

Reaction score
Wow well... I mean good luck and all that ofc but dont you feel like you went a bit extreme? Specially with all this ad boycott thing happening and revenue being extremely low (at least for many of us)... dont wanna sound like your dad but IMHO you should consider a backup... YT is really unstable right now. Cheers.

Reactions: Amber lynx

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
IMHO I wouldn't stop my current work for youtube, not because i don't love youtube but because how things are with youtube is not a good source of income when you're beginning and it will be hard for you to grow and it's not guarantee that everyone who makes a channel will be successful, life is not that easy. It can take years for you to reach a point in which youtube is a good source of income for you to live by. So right now I go by working my a** off at my work to be able to live while on the other part try and keep up with my youtube.

Good luck on your youtube career tough!

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I can tell you firsthand, you dot need a degree to work in tv. Just show up they'll put you to work! But why do you want to have YouTube as a job? What's the real reason behind this?

Amber lynx

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I can tell you firsthand, you dot need a degree to work in tv. Just show up they'll put you to work! But why do you want to have YouTube as a job? What's the real reason behind this?
Why not. As a kid I love talking, I still do today. But I knew I didn't wanna be on tv because it takes so much to get there. With YouTube you can create whatever and literally if people rock with that then they will share, like and get you to somewhere you'd though you never be just from making videos in your room. Ppl lives are set from doing this thing that they love and I found an emmense passion for it. So much so that I noticed I was in school for something I didnt wanna do. I was already doing what I loved I just didn't focus on it. So that's what I decided to do and I know it's a stretch but success is subjective and I know what I'm capable of and making a living out of it is a dream for me.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Ok. Good enough answer! I worked in tv before there was internet and it was really the only way. Being on tv then held much more weight than being online because it was so rare to do

But I've had 20+ videos be shared on major websites. At first I really thought I was set and going to explode. Even with all those times getting free publicity, I'm still not at a million views yet.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm glad you believe in yourself, that's important. I'm sorry your not geeting the support from the person you want it the most that must be hard, hopefully they will come around soon. Good luck with your channel I wish you the best!

Amber lynx

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'm glad you believe in yourself, that's important. I'm sorry your not geeting the support from the person you want it the most that must be hard, hopefully they will come around soon. Good luck with your channel I wish you the best!
Thank you I appreciate that more than you know

Reactions: Courtney Candice

Mikes

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
I've often had an interest in pursuing outcomes that aren't exactly stable or risk-free, so I think I can relate to how you feel.

To make the most out of what you can do, make sure you understand what you can manage to do. Some people have to support themselves and genuinely can't afford to simply stop working (or going to school), because they need to survive. Others, on the other hand, can afford to maintain a ratio where they can work on their YouTube account more than maintain a job. Sometimes, they don't even need a job. Some choose to have a job, anyway, to make sure that they remain financially safe.

Some YouTubers are lucky enough to have very fast channel growth. Others -- and by others, I mean everyone else -- don't have that luck.

Assume that you won't be as lucky and genuinely do your best. If there's anything that you think is stopping you from doing so, see how you can fix that problem. Explore your options and search the forums to learn about anything that can helpful. Like you said, there are absolutely no guarantees, so it's possible that you can try your absolute hardest for however many years you do this, and still not make it; should something worse happen to your account, you may not even have much to show for your effort. Would you be okay with that?

Besides that, I don't have much to add that everyone else didn't already say. Best of luck, and don't forget that you can also approach things safely when you need to. Don't underestimate what you can accomplish in short amounts of time. :bookworm2:

P.S: Having support is nice, but remember that what you do is really up to you. You can make decisions that no one will agree with. Sometimes, you won't get the validation of others no matter what you do.

Last edited:

Archieonic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you have the means to do that, and it is truly your dream (as in, not getting into it just for the "prospect" of money), then go for it. Unfortunately, I cannot dedicate myself full time to Youtube. Not that I'm older nor with a lot of responsibilities on my back (I'm 23), but the bills I have to pay monthly require a full time job out of me. Not to mention if I want to do something other than work, I need some spare cash. If I want to spend money on my channel itself, I also need the cash.

I didn't go to college. I chose to stop after high school, took a year off, then started working full time. Life got its ways and I landed in the insurance business. Do I enjoy it? Not really no. Right now I've got 3 interviews for other jobs with better pay and hours. But I know that if I do not have that job, might as well go under a bridge. But I enjoy the challenge. I put out 2 videos a day. Between marketing, editing and recording I have little time to do much else, and getting over 5 hours of sleep is a miracle. But it helps, the stress and the pressure of being time constraint will help me in the future. If at one point I could do Youtube full time, I can only imagine how much more content and networking I could do if I can manage 2 videos a day with 4-5 hours a day.

So all in all, if you have the means to be on Youtube full time, go for it. Take advantage of being able to do so and dedicate yourself 110%.