Collab question

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Hey guys, someone on a forum has reached me an wants me to narrate his short story. It's pretty cool, and I'm interested, and we both want to make it into a YT video.

NOW. I want to make it clear to him I'm only interested if this goes on my channel, and as he'll be credited/given links to his pages etc... that he'll only benefit from getting the exposure for writing the story, but as for the rest, it's my video, on my youtube channel.
QUESTION: Is there any way this could come back and bite me in the bum (to be english about it) when if the guy agrees to my conditions but, maybe I dunno, the video gets decent views and he starts figuring he ought to sue me or sth if I don't give him part of the received monetized interests ? Is a tacit agreement on some forum's inbox about this being MY channel not a bit light ?

Fost

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Other
Hey guys, someone on a forum has reached me an wants me to narrate his short story. It's pretty cool, and I'm interested, and we both want to make it into a YT video.

NOW. I want to make it clear to him I'm only interested if this goes on my channel, and as he'll be credited/given links to his pages etc... that he'll only benefit from getting the exposure for writing the story, but as for the rest, it's my video, on my youtube channel.
QUESTION: Is there any way this could come back and bite me in the bum (to be english about it) when if the guy agrees to my conditions but, maybe I dunno, the video gets decent views and he starts figuring he ought to sue me or sth if I don't give him part of the received monetized interests ? Is a tacit agreement on some forum's inbox about this being MY channel not a bit light ?
MQ some where in the video manager or before you up load should be a advance settings of the video uploading should be a section to put the guy you collabing with in. Idk if they get notified or can accept that they are collabing though but thats all I know

Reactions: MindfulInquirer

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
First of all I just want to say that joyning others for collabs is one of the best (free) ways to grow a channel if you ask me:) I have done it a lot and that is one of the resons I´m getting close to 4000 subscribers, so good on you that you started this process.
QUESTION: Is there any way this could come back and bite me in the bum
This has NEVER been a problem for me. Talk with this person and if you trust him go for it. If you have doubts you can put things in writing but again this has NEVER been a problem for me..

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Thanks for the replies both of you, those are both helpful.

First of all I just want to say that joyning others for collabs is one of the best (free) ways to grow a channel if you ask me:) I have done it a lot and that is one of the resons I´m getting close to 4000 subscribers, so good on you that you started this process.

This has NEVER been a problem for me. Talk with this person and if you trust him go for it. If you have doubts you can put things in writing but again this has NEVER been a problem for me..
hmmm. Convincing message. I might just do that. Might have him write something more "official" perhaps.

Reactions: Fost

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you really are worried about him suing you for money, just turn off monetization for that video, that way he would be suing you for nothing. I have done collabs, and I have never seen this issue happen, so I think you'll be fine anyways.

Reactions: Dave2017

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
If you really are worried about him suing you for money, just turn off monetization for that video, that way he would be suing you for nothing. I have done collabs, and I have never seen this issue happen, so I think you'll be fine anyways.
Ugh... I'd hate the idea of being sued for nothing. I'm sure it's terribly stressful.
No but things shouldn't go wrong, I was just wondering if there were any 'protocols' for such a thing.

Reactions: PhysicsFreak101

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
He doesn't have to sue for the income of the video, he can sue you for any money you have, period.

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
He doesn't have to sue for the income of the video, he can sue you for any money you have, period.
He was asking if the guy could sue him for the money he gets from the video, which if he didn't get any money from the video, and they both agreed that the video would go up on his channel, there would be no reason for the person he is collaborating to sue him. Now, if he got a lot of views and didn't credit the other person, then I would see a problem, but what problem do you see that could cause the other person to sue?

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
He was asking if the guy could sue him for the money he gets from the video, which if he didn't get any money from the video, and they both agreed that the video would go up on his channel, there would be no reason for the person he is collaborating to sue him. Now, if he got a lot of views and didn't credit the other person, then I would see a problem, but what problem do you see that could cause the other person to sue?
But the other guy can sue for money he doesn't make on his channel, but for money he has exterior to YouTube. If they have a contract, verbal or written, and one side violates the contract, then legal action can lead to monetary restitution, even if the work in question makes no money itself.