Closed Captions

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / software / hardware forum. :)

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
if they are for Youtube vids then Youtube already autogenerates subtitles. The CC set it makes reads what you say and figures out what text is shown but it does make multiple mistakes so Its better to delete it and manually edit or start again from within youtube creator studio. Just click edit on your uploaded video, then click on where it says 'subtitles/cc' and you will figure out the rest. I presume thats what you wanted anyway? Unless you need for some reason to burn them into the video footage itself?

I make manually edited English subtitles for all my uploaded videos from within creator studio.

Reactions: Stike96

DougHewsonYT

Reaction score
I do mine myself - I wait for the YT generated ones to publish, then go in and download it. I work through the video and fix the typos and other errors, making sure I keep the other formatting in place. Once done, I save to a text file and re-upload to the video on YouTube. Once it's published, I clear the auto-generated one.

Hmmm, I think that might be a video idea!

Cheers!

Alexandra Sowell

Reaction score
I do mine myself - I wait for the YT generated ones to publish, then go in and download it. I work through the video and fix the typos and other errors, making sure I keep the other formatting in place. Once done, I save to a text file and re-upload to the video on YouTube. Once it's published, I clear the auto-generated one.

Hmmm, I think that might be a video idea!

Cheers!
how do you download them, and how are they already set?

DougHewsonYT

Reaction score
how do you download them, and how are they already set?
After your video is uploaded, the AI goes through your video an ads captions to your video based on the audio track - a bit like speech recognition. Once it's processed, it will show up as an Automatic CC (in your default language).

You can access in your Creator Studio by going to the video in the Video Manager, and selecting pull-down next to the Edit button and choose Subtitles/CC.

To the right of the video player, you'll see the CCs applied to the video. Click on the one that is (Automatic), and it will open to view the subtitles and CC. Click on the Actions button in the top left, and select one of the download options. I usually go with .srt I believe. It will open the caption in a separate text window in your browser, so you can copy and paste to your favourite text editor and tweak the captions, being careful not to touch the timestamp info for each section.

Once done, you can go back to the Subtitles/CC section and upload the corrected text file.