Closed Captioning

Frontier Forge

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Is there any actual benefit, such as an increased viewership/subscriber count by taking the time to translate and caption your videos correctly? Is auto translate close enough? Or not enough of a difference to matter anyway.

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It depends. For me, I make marketing videos, so marketers across the world who don't speak great English and can't understand my fast pace of speaking can read the captions.

It has helped me reach wider audiences. Plus I use the captions for social media sharing. most social media users don't have sound enabled, so captions are a good way for people to watch your content without sound on, especially in public or at work where sound enabled wouldn't be acceptable.

In terms of the YT algorithm, I haven't seen any evidence of it helping in that respect.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Frontier Forge

Frontier Forge

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you for that information. Perhaps it's worth while to have captioning on. I wasn't aware that most social media users use their devices with sound turned off.

ItsMeJackP

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I think it's part of the "good practice" list on TubeBuddy, but I don't know if it makes any actual difference.

Reactions: Frontier Forge