Chroma Keying Techniques Help Needed

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everyone so we got the green fabric today and after spending about an hour ironing it we put it up and tested it, once done I put the raw footage in Sony Vegas and used the Pure Green Screen effect on it, everything seemed to be fine but now when play it I can see a rather thin but noticeable blueish border and when adusting the values it just doesnt seem to want to go away, I can get it very thin but it always remains, any lower and the edge becomes pixellated, would this be because of poor lighting perhaps or is this software related?

I have two softboxes pointing at the screen, it seems evenly lit and one lighting up the subject, the subject is visible and pretty much well lit. Any suggestions?

Thank you :)

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am going to take it off the rod it currently is on and use our clamps to really tighten it up and make it taut, I will post a test video in a bit and see if it is any better.

Th3StuffShow

YTtalk Monster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ok keep in mind I'm learning all this myself and am far from being experienced..... but in Adobe I use a combination of Chroma and Colour Key effects to achieve a decent green screen effect. Depending on the lighting I too at times get that small line of colour around the "actor" or puppet.

What I do to reduce it as much as possible is play with the settings. The blend, threshold, cutoff, feathering, smoothing etc... for me it was and still is a trial and error thing. My best tip would be to play around with the settings and lighting until you're happy with the product/effect.
--- merged: Feb 24, 2012 5:26 PM ---
Oh and if these "lines and colour spots" are on the edges of the video, I at times also use the Crop tools to simply crop out the unwanted parts.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you, I have been messing on with the settings and it looked a little better than it did earlier. I think the way it was set up was a little too cosy because we are doing this in the bedroom with not having a spare room and there is hardly any space, I have moved things around so the subject can be more in front of the lights and it seems the only slight issue now is lighting the subject properly as well as the background, out of three softboxes, two are on the background and only one on the subject. I might put the screen on the floor later on and go over it again with the iron because I was having to iron it bit by bit earlier :D

Do you rely on sunlight in your green screen videos or are you in a fully dark room using only lighting?