Choosing what to do on YouTube - Finding a Niche

Michael

I Love YTtalk
This short article will hopefully help you when choosing what to make videos on when starting out. These are quick tips and could help you.

The Do's

• Write a list of things you are interested in that you know quite a bit about that you could share with others, pick out the ones you feel would be best for doing videos about.
  • Make sure your final choice will be something you enjoy and have a passion about, that could be car modding, gaming, beauty, music, vlogging.
  • Choose something you can regularly make videos on, for example choosing to do beauty videos would be better than choosing makeup only, you give yourself more things to work with being more general including makeup.
  • Think about the issues that could arise for you when recording such videos, ask yourself questions such as, is my equipment okay for these kinds of videos, what equipment will I need, will I need props, will I need to buy something every time for a video, will I use said things after the video (especially when doing review channels), will I have enough time to record such videos, are there things I can do differently to what others have already done. Question as much as you can before making a decision.
  • Ask friends and family what they think.
  • Think about how much time you will need to dedicate to the videos, a possible schedule for the videos and research how often other people in the same niche release theirs.
  • Check out your potential competitors, could you do yours different and perhaps better?
  • Research how many viewers your potential competitors have, do they get many views or subscribers? what helps them achieve this in their niche and could you do the same yourself or improve upon their methods?
The Donts

• Rush into a niche because of it being popular.
  • Choose something because it is easy for you to do but you lack interest in it.
  • Go with something because you cant think of anything else.
  • Go for something you have little passion about.
  • Forget to consider all of the Dos above!
  • Expect to become a massive hit rapidly in an already saturated niche.
I hope this helps anyone looking to find a new thing to do on YouTube :)

Please feel free to add your own thoughts on these, maybe elaborate or come up with some of your own too.

Thanks for reading.

Nice tips =] Recommended to people that still havent made videos on their youtube channel :D

Nice tips =] Recommended to people that still havent made videos on their youtube channel :D

Yeah, luckily for them they wont lose so much if its new. A lot of people wont think like this first and it leads to them closing massive channels because it just isnt for them. It's always sad having to delete and start over but it happens.

VERY good tips.
THE most important thing on this list, I think, is passion. You can tell if someones not really all that interested in what they are talking about. Its way more enjoyable watching passionate people. This is why I picked animation. I LOVE it. I love talking about it. Very good tips all around. :D

Also, new avatar? Looks great! That you?

VERY good tips.
THE most important thing on this list, I think, is passion. You can tell if someones not really all that interested in what they are talking about. Its way more enjoyable watching passionate people. This is why I picked animation. I LOVE it. I love talking about it. Very good tips all around. :D

Also, new avatar? Looks great! That you?

I should bold that word in the tips, I just hope people find this before they get well into their channel/videos, I would rather lose 10 subscribers than 100 or 100,000, considering these early should put people on the right track. Some people are reluctant to start over and end up regretting their experience on there and it just becomes a chore for them with the lack of passion.

Yeah I uploaded it earlier and it's me.

Passion and research are good!
I mean it's all well and good making a video you're passionate about but gotta make sure the facts are right, and hey, you might learn something :)
^This, passion opens the door, you have to walk through it lolololololol wise saying :rolleyes:

If you are just a vlogger, and have a rich social life, I would like to add BRING YOUR CAMERA EVERYWHERE. Get one you can put in a back pack or in your pocket, and the moment life gets interesting, TURN IT ON.

If you are just a vlogger, and have a rich social life, I would like to add BRING YOUR CAMERA EVERYWHERE. Get one you can put in a back pack or in your pocket, and the moment life gets interesting, TURN IT ON.

I'm saving up for a decent hd handicam! ALl the roadtrips I go on it'd be rude not to :p Plus more of beautiful face!

Thats where I think I would fail as one and a lot of people struggle with it, in most peoples lives there just isnt much truly interesting to record a lot of the time unless you live like a celebrity every day. Man I would be lucky to show something interesting once a week :D

Back