Children eat more junk food after watching YouTube

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Source and full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...g-YouTube-stars-indulge-unhealthy-snacks.html

• University of Liverpool finds children are influenced by YouTubers' food choices
  • Children who watch online stars eat fatty or sugary foods then do the same
  • Experts say advertising online is more subtle than it is on television
  • NHS revealed yesterday over a third of primary school leavers are overweight

4CB8C3CB00000578-5781761-image-a-1_1527581929966.jpg

Children who watch videos of social media personalities eating junk food consume more calories themselves, research shows.

Those who see their favourite online stars eating unhealthy food in videos eat nearly an extra 100 calories – 26 per cent more – when choosing a snack.

Scientists found children who watched YouTube stars such as Zoella and Alfie Deyes, both of whom have millions of online followers, made less healthy food choices.

Experts say children may find it difficult to tell what is an advert and what is the stars' normal behaviour, because online advertising is more subtle than on television.

The research comes as celebrities are calling for the Government to crack down on how much junk food advertising is seen by children.

The research by the University of Liverpool was presented at the European Congress on Obesity in Vienna this weekend, the BBC reports.

Anna Coates, a PhD research student and lead researcher on the study, said: 'We know that if you show children a traditional drink advert, then their preference for that drink rises.

'We wanted to test their reactions to this new type of celebrity, the social media star.

'Now that we've shown that children are influenced by online stars, our next study will look at whether they understand that, in many cases, celebrities are being paid to promote products.'

How the research was carried out

In the study 176 children were split into groups and shown pictures of YouTube stars promoting either a healthy food, an unhealthy food, or something that wasn't food.

The children were then offered snacks afterwards.

Those who had watched an unhealthy food promotion ate 448 calories – 26 per cent more than children in the other two groups who consumed 357.

Snacks offered included carrot sticks, grapes, chocolate buttons and jelly sweets, and children who see the social media personalities eat unhealthily choose unhealthy options for themselves, the scientists found.

One of the researchers, Dr Emma Boyland, said children think of the vloggers as 'everyday people' making normal choices in their videos.

(Click below for full article)

Source and full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...g-YouTube-stars-indulge-unhealthy-snacks.html

Thoughts? Do you think this is an issue or an over reaction?

Not too surprising. Children have always been easily influenced by the people they idolize, whether it's more conventional celebrities or Youtubers. I do believe the big Youtube stars should make a conscious effort to be a better role model for their younger audience and be more critical about the types of products they sponsor. But at the same time, it's up to the parents and/or caretakers to watch over their own kids and offer healthier diets.

But at the same time, it's up to the parents and/or caretakers to watch over their own kids and offer healthier diets.

Yeah that is my opinion also.

We are bombarded by advertising 24/7 from all media - TV, billboards, magazines. It's not just Youtube. But if parents prepare healthy meals from a young age, they will learn that healthy food can also taste good. ^^

Reactions: nad
Big companies are hard to stop, too rich and powerful, they know what kids are attracted to, bright colours, lot's of sugar and fake flavour. Like bloke said above, teach children at a young age and understand eating healthy is a great health insurance policy.

our next study will look at whether they understand that, in many cases, celebrities are being paid to promote products

eh, no reason for a research of this kind. Kids know well that online stars are paid. This explain so many kids trying to be rich and famous in Youtube by s4s, spamming etc... :) :p

an issue or an over reaction?

regarding to online presence i think that there is always an issue and never over reaction.
We use to believe that training (educating might be the word) children for the real world, also shields them for the digital one.
But there is so much difference and cruelty to the digital world that brings up all the hard and filthy self of kids.
What? didn't you now that kids are cruel by nature? :p :p :p
Anyway. Regarding junk food or junk trends or even junk people, there is only education that we can offer I think.

As a Parent I am going to have to go ahead and say shame on those idiot parents. We got candy and all sorts of goodness in the house. But no candy unless dinner has been finished completely.

Good point. When I was a kid, my parents used to ration the amount of sweets and candy my sister and I were allowed to eat. Once or twice a week maximum - They would give us a small eggcup each and put the sweets in there and then put the rest back in the cupboard and told us there would be no refills so don't bother asking lol. We quickly learned the boundaries. I remember feeling they were too strict at the time but now looking back that was good parenting. :)

Back