Channels With Two Genres?

Gimle

Reaction score
Just a quick one, I think I know the answer already but I figured I'd ask anyway, just out of curio.

Basically I love outdoorsy pursuits, so camping, hiking, kayaking and wildlife films/photography so that was going to be my predominant niche - however as its winter and weather prevents me from doing loads around this time of year, I was also wondering if it was possible to combine other content too, like sci-fi games and just general podcasting about various stuff too.

Previous experience tells me this is a terrible idea, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has made this work, and if so, how!?

Reactions: Ocean Chan

MentallyGames

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Other
Well, gaming would be horrible for your channel, as it is pretty much the ultimate opposite of what you originally do. If you want to do new things, you are probably better of trying new things that still have a connection to your original niche. That way you can engage new audiences and still be interesting to your core audience. You can obviously create a podcast around topics that are relevant to your original content, so that could work out great for you.

Reactions: Gimle

Gimle

Reaction score
Well, gaming would be horrible for your channel, as it is pretty much the ultimate opposite of what you originally do. If you want to do new things, you are probably better of trying new things that still have a connection to your original niche. That way you can engage new audiences and still be interesting to your core audience. You can obviously create a podcast around topics that are relevant to your original content, so that could work out great for you.
I thought as much as I was typing to be honest, lol. I'm thinking two separate channels is the way forward, maybe occasionally letting people know about the other content on the other channel, but keep them apart. Just thought it would have been nice to not have to mess about trying to grow two channels.

Malousak

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer
That's the thing with gaming, unless your main genre isn't gaming, it is hard to combine. For example a gaming channel can have vlogs etc mixed with it, but having a vlogging channel uploading some gameplays is actually weird. I hope you know what I mean by this.

Brenden

Message me if you need anything :)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
You answered your own question bud ;)

Don't mix two completely opposite niches into one channel. I think we all have tried that before and seen what that does :/

zhkopec

I've Got It
Reaction score
Just a quick one, I think I know the answer already but I figured I'd ask anyway, just out of curio.

Basically I love outdoorsy pursuits, so camping, hiking, kayaking and wildlife films/photography so that was going to be my predominant niche - however as its winter and weather prevents me from doing loads around this time of year, I was also wondering if it was possible to combine other content too, like sci-fi games and just general podcasting about various stuff too.

Previous experience tells me this is a terrible idea, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has made this work, and if so, how!?
This works when people like YOU as a host / personality. This is NOT a good way to grow a channel from nothing. Under 100k (estimate) your content has to be way better than you are as a personality.

Not specifically you, but I see many gaming and personality channels that think they themselves are the focus point / interesting.

tl;dr start with a niche, grow, add another niche.

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
It would be actually annoying if the YOUTUBER I follow who does VLOGS starts playing games on the channel. But however if they keep posting gaming videos, and do not post vlogs, then its a turn off. If you could continue doing what you are doing along with gaming should be fine. But I would recommend to stick to your current genre or something similar to that. Maybe DIY videos, easy photography in winter, and so on.

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

Are you into snowsports or winter activities?
Maybe you could keep with the outdoor theme - but a different activity
Is winter hiking/camping feasible?

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have similar dilemma!

I have main channel and a gaming channel. If I upload gaming videos to my main channel they get much more attention/views, but they also blur the main channel direction where it is going to. I streamed a game some months ago on the main channel and it got up to 10 times more concurrent viewers than if I stream the same game on the gaming channel. Several viewers came just to say hi, others came to request videos for the main channel topics, one viewer said "wt*, you are not a gaming channel!".

Since then I don't stream on the main channel, but only on the gaming channel and the stream is getting much less attention. I've started making gaming videos again and still haven't decided if to upload them on my main channel and receive bigger attention/views to them, but blur the channel genre, or to upload them on the gaming channel and have almost no attention/views to them.

Brenden

Message me if you need anything :)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have similar dilemma!

I have main channel and a gaming channel. If I upload gaming videos to my main channel they get much more attention/views, but they also blur the main channel direction where it is going to. I streamed a game some months ago on the main channel and it got up to 10 times more concurrent viewers than if I stream the same game on the gaming channel. Several viewers came just to say hi, others came to request videos for the main channel topics, one viewer said "wt*, you are not a gaming channel!".

Since then I don't stream on the main channel, but only on the gaming channel and the stream is getting much less attention. I've started making gaming videos again and still haven't decided if to upload them on my main channel and receive bigger attention/views to them, but blur the channel genre, or to upload them on the gaming channel and have almost no attention/views to them.
Honestly not best to mix genres even if they get more attention on your main.

Those who followed for your main niche will leave when they see you changed it.