Channel Type

filipaschannel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi guys! I've started my channel as a beauty channel since its something I love and I'm good at and that I actually like learning and sharing things about. But sometimes I feel like I want to do another kinds of videos, speak about important things but from what I've read in several opinions we should keep a channel constant and not change the subject we made it for. But, at the same time, my channel is mine and I should feel safe to post whatever I want on it but obviously I want to have viewers and I'm not sure where do I stand on this. Should I do a separate channel, a separate section, or what actually?

Kind of a channel existential crisis happening over here

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the channel branding forum. ^^

Sinc

Mr Not That Famous
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
well, post in parts, can be "Beauty & Thoughts", doesn't have to be one strict thing, my channel is a prime example of not following a strict code and my fanbase has yet to complain.

Reactions: filipaschannel

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
In my opinion it's fine to have 2 channel types in one. My channel is about Film & Entertainment. But if I only did (Film) projects then I'd never be able to get content up frequently. So we spread out to some gaming videos and started making movie/game reviews. Since filming projects like Feature Films, Short Films, Web Series, etc...take way more time (and money) to make and finish. But again that's just my opinion. =] Hope it helps.

filipaschannel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
well, post in parts, can be "Beauty & Thoughts", doesn't have to be one strict thing, my channel is a prime example of not following a strict code and my fanbase has yet to complain.
Yea cause on a tips list the other day I seen someone saying "keep to your channel theme" and it kinda turned me down on doing it! But then I see a lot of people doing several stuff on their channels and it makes me like them even more[DOUBLEPOST=1493054336,1493054250][/DOUBLEPOST]
In my opinion it's fine to have 2 channel types in one. My channel is about Film & Entertainment. But if I only did (Film) projects then I'd never be able to get content up frequently. So we spread out to some gaming videos and started making movie/game reviews. Since filming projects like Feature Films, Short Films, Web Series, etc...take way more time (and money) to make and finish. But again that's just my opinion. =] Hope it helps.
Definitely helped! Thank you so much for answering. I feel like we should be free to create content but I've seen a lot of people saying that we should stick to a type which doesn't attract me very much.

Reactions: Farley Productions

Farley Productions

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Definitely helped! Thank you so much for answering. I feel like we should be free to create content but I've seen a lot of people saying that we should stick to a type which doesn't attract me very much.
You're welcome! I feel the same way with my Youtube channel. To me the only thing that's missing is an official "channel trailer" to help people understand what my channel is about since I like to do a variety of content. Until my current camera comes back from the warranty/manufacturer place then I can't really do one the way I'd want to.

But until then I feel like having a variety of stuff is better then just one. Even if it's frowned upon since I don't have a large following I really don't mind because my channel is who I am and shows what I love to do. Even if I grow more slowly in the beginning because of it that's fine. I'd rather have multiple types of stuff people can watch then only just one. =]

Reactions: User_78298

Farley Productions

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
How do you post a video on your channel's main page anyway? I couldn't seem to find anything.
Go to "My channel" on the top left of the Youtube Home Page. And on your channel you will see a couple tabs saying "For Returning Subscribers" and "For New Visitors." Click on New Visitors and it will bring up an option to upload a video as your channel trailer. Then you can pick a video of your choosing to show to new fans until you have that Channel Trailer you wish to show people. Hope that helps. =]

Reactions: User_78298

Ralph Mickey

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Here's my take and what I am working on -

I will have different types of videos on my channel. I have planned it that way from the start. my main focus is my bloggish website where the videos will live.

On my personal site, each category / topic has its own page and there for be separate there. I think I will do playlists on my YT page to help people keep them separated.

Hope this helps.

filipaschannel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You're welcome! I feel the same way with my Youtube channel. To me the only thing that's missing is an official "channel trailer" to help people understand what my channel is about since I like to do a variety of content. Until my current camera comes back from the warranty/manufacturer place then I can't really do one the way I'd want to.

But until then I feel like having a variety of stuff is better then just one. Even if it's frowned upon since I don't have a large following I really don't mind because my channel is who I am and shows what I love to do. Even if I grow more slowly in the beginning because of it that's fine. I'd rather have multiple types of stuff people can watch then only just one. =]
To be fair, I don't think I've ever seen a beauty YouTuber posting only beauty actually. Cause that's never all we are or want to speak about. And I doubt I would watch one that'd focus only on that cause people need to get to know us not only for that but for who we are. And I like to think I do my channel for myself. Of course I want subs or views but I also want to enjoy myself doing my videos, that's actually what I want the most. As you say it might slow down in the beginning yea but I need to create content I enjoy that's all I ever wanted from my channel - to enjoy myself doing it!

Reactions: Farley Productions