Channel Termination Policy Change (maybe)

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hello everyone!

This may be old news, and it may not be the case in all situations, but there seems to have been a change.

Back in October of last year, I had 2 copyright strikes. They both had counter-notifications waiting for a response. When one of them had 3 days left until the video went back up, a third video was taken down without warning and my channel was terminated immediately. Three days later it came back up when my number of strikes fell below 3.

Since then, YouTube has changed some policies regarding strikes, such as them expiring after 3 months instead of 6. After this time, I had seen posts by people asking about an email they got from YouTube when they got 3 strikes. This email includes the language:
You now have 3 copyright strikes. As a result, your account is scheduled to be disabled in 7 days.

What to do next

Your channel will remain live for the next 7 days to allow you to seek a resolution and keep your channel up.

If you believe you’re not at fault in one or more of the instances above, you can appeal by submitting a counter notification. Your account will not be terminated while your counter notification is in processing.
I was interested because I never received such an email. Was this a new policy. I searched and asked around and the only information I found was that the channel would be terminated immediately after 3 strikes.

Finally, as an experiment, I appealed 3 copyright claims, instead of my usual simultaneous 2, to see how it would go. Once had 2 strikes and got the email that the third one would be going down unless I canceled my appeal, I made a video informing my viewers that my channel would likely be going down and for what dates it would be down for. Today the third video went down and to my delight, I received the same email.

Again, I'm not sure if this is across the board, or if only certain channels will receive this. For example, I've heard of many people getting monetization disabled from getting 1 strike, even before this current monetization issue, whereas I've gotten 2 and now 3, and my monetization is still enabled.

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
This has been around for a long time the strike and your out system.

Thing is with channel termination and videos taken down i highly recommend people find the help of @trustedflagger on twitter.

He is a 'youtube hero'/trusted flagger he doesn't work for youtube but holy crap he has saved my channel.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This has been around for a long time the strike and your out system.

Thing is with channel termination and videos taken down i highly recommend people find the help of @trustedflagger on twitter.

He is a 'youtube hero'/trusted flagger he doesn't work for youtube but holy crap he has saved my channel.
By "a long time" do you mean before October of last year? If so, it seems weird that I'd have a different experience then compared to now.

Also, what does Trusted Flagger do? How can someone outside of YouTube help with a channel being terminated?

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
By "a long time" do you mean before October of last year? If so, it seems weird that I'd have a different experience then compared to now.

Also, what does Trusted Flagger do? How can someone outside of YouTube help with a channel being terminated?
A trusted flagger can override youtube choices.

IE -Your video was taken down for being.. lets say violent but it wasn't.
Trusted Flaggers can restore your video.

and i believe so we received an email in september 2016 IIRC giving us a warning.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
A trusted flagger can override youtube choices.

IE -Your video was taken down for being.. lets say violent but it wasn't.
Trusted Flaggers can restore your video.

and i believe so we received an email in september 2016 IIRC giving us a warning.
Hmm. Can the trusted flagger override it for copyright takedown strikes?
You received an email in September about getting 3 strikes and having 7 days to resolve them before your channel was terminated? Interesting. I wonder what happened in October for me, then.