Channel Review?

Column 1

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask a couple questions on what you guys genuinely think about my channel, be brutally honest if necessary. Some things I would like to know about my channel are:
1. What do you think about my channel art?
2. What do you think about my content?
3. What do you think about my thumbnails?
4. What can I do to improve all of these?

Hi Hi!

I have only just started out, so I will not claim to know much about this YT malarky but I can give you my perspective as a viewer!

1. I love your channel art, I think it is well thought out and clever and it gets across the nature of your channel very quickly and effectively, not to mention is is very cool looking frankly!
2. I watched your 'Big beautiful crystal growing' and your how to guide. First off, I think the crystals you are making are awesome, but there are a few things you should watch out for.

Big Beautiful
I would hard cut away when you are moving the camera, the shakiness causes a bit of motion sickness! easy to fix, similarly you may find it easier to position your camera at an angle to what you are doing, that way it won't get in your way so much. This would have been useful for the second half of the video where the crystal is being obscured by your t-shirt and we don't get to see it, video length is good and keeps your attention long enough, another silly little thing, there are parts of the video that could be cut out, I only mention this because, I personally would have kept the length of the video to the length of the song just so that there is a natural end to the song and the video at the same time!

In summary, the video has really good content, and I really enjoyed the music accompanying the video, there are just a few things you can do to polish up the video

How To
The first thing I would say is that you probably should have muted the background noise! ;) I would have preferred a voice over, even if this was done in post production. However if this isn't possible, then you might need to cut down the amount of text on screen at any one time, try staggering the text and maybe try a different font type, maybe with an outline if possible. I know that you fixed this in Big beautiful, so it shouldn't be an issue going forward, but recording freehand makes the recording a bit shaky also there were parts that seemed to lag in the playback, I don't know if this because of the original recording or a glitch that occurs when the video is rendered.

3. Thumbnails are informative and they get across the message of the video, but maybe you should try being a bit more clickbaity, also the text on your thumbnails blends in a bit too much, I would go with a bigger and bolder font that doesn't clash with the background so much! I've attached a mockup of one for you that I did in Pixlr

4. Your SEO seems to be pretty good actually, you rank pretty high in youtubes searches, I would compound this by polishing up your content and, unfortunately, being a bit more clickbaity! I would make a point of giving your channel a description and you will need to upload a bit more regularly. Other than that, your content is great and as I'm sure you can see from your viewership, your views far outstrip your subs so you just need to convert those viewers to subs and grow from there, then it will be easier to grow!

Best of luck and I hope this helped!

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 4
Hi Hi!

I have only just started out, so I will not claim to know much about this YT malarky but I can give you my perspective as a viewer!

1. I love your channel art, I think it is well thought out and clever and it gets across the nature of your channel very quickly and effectively, not to mention is is very cool looking frankly!
2. I watched your 'Big beautiful crystal growing' and your how to guide. First off, I think the crystals you are making are awesome, but there are a few things you should watch out for.

Big Beautiful
I would hard cut away when you are moving the camera, the shakiness causes a bit of motion sickness! easy to fix, similarly you may find it easier to position your camera at an angle to what you are doing, that way it won't get in your way so much. This would have been useful for the second half of the video where the crystal is being obscured by your t-shirt and we don't get to see it, video length is good and keeps your attention long enough, another silly little thing, there are parts of the video that could be cut out, I only mention this because, I personally would have kept the length of the video to the length of the song just so that there is a natural end to the song and the video at the same time!

In summary, the video has really good content, and I really enjoyed the music accompanying the video, there are just a few things you can do to polish up the video

How To
The first thing I would say is that you probably should have muted the background noise! ;) I would have preferred a voice over, even if this was done in post production. However if this isn't possible, then you might need to cut down the amount of text on screen at any one time, try staggering the text and maybe try a different font type, maybe with an outline if possible. I know that you fixed this in Big beautiful, so it shouldn't be an issue going forward, but recording freehand makes the recording a bit shaky also there were parts that seemed to lag in the playback, I don't know if this because of the original recording or a glitch that occurs when the video is rendered.

3. Thumbnails are informative and they get across the message of the video, but maybe you should try being a bit more clickbaity, also the text on your thumbnails blends in a bit too much, I would go with a bigger and bolder font that doesn't clash with the background so much! I've attached a mockup of one for you that I did in Pixlr

4. Your SEO seems to be pretty good actually, you rank pretty high in youtubes searches, I would compound this by polishing up your content and, unfortunately, being a bit more clickbaity! I would make a point of giving your channel a description and you will need to upload a bit more regularly. Other than that, your content is great and as I'm sure you can see from your viewership, your views far outstrip your subs so you just need to convert those viewers to subs and grow from there, then it will be easier to grow!

Best of luck and I hope this helped!
Thank you so so so much, that helped a lot, I just wanted to say thank you so much for replying, and this actually helped a lot. I have heard people say things before like "It's kind of quiet in your video" or "Kind of a boring thumbnail, don't you think?", but you told me exactly what to fix in a constructive way. I will be sure to update my thumbnails TODAY, and I am making a new video next week that will hopefully up the standard of my videos. I am finally downloading audacity, so I'll be able to remove backround noise, and I'm getting a pop filter :D. Thanks again for replying, your help was very much needed.

I'm glad you thought my comments were useful, I tried to avoid generic feedback as this often isn't helpful! But you have the makings of a great channel here and I hope it continues to grow! Us little guys got to stick together and I thiught it was very harsh that your videos got those down votes, but don't worry I gave them a cheeky up vote! ;)

Thanks for the "cheeky up vote", mate, really appreciate it, and your content is pretty hilarious as well, (I can see that practice what you preach with the "clickbaity thumbnails, xD) and I tried my best to fix the pH indicator thumbnail.

Ha ha, yeah unfortunately there are quite a few gaming channels out there already, especially ones that play the more popular games so my viewership will be low for a while! That's why I need to use more... engaging, thumbnails! But I'm glad you like the content! Honestly though, the videos are great and just the right length to keep people engaged without clicking off and I think with a few tweaks you will take off![DOUBLEPOST=1499981449,1499938257][/DOUBLEPOST]Hey mate, I did get your message but I can't reply to you with less than 50 posts *facepalm* Sounds like a good idea! I'm hoping that the mods can sort out the 50 post limitations, but if they can't do anything about it, do you have twitter so I can DM you about some ideas I've had?

I think your channel art looks great! And your content (from a quick glance) looks very reminiscent of Crazy Russian Hacker and I think that's pretty cool! Keep up what you're doing :)

I love your channel art! The only thing I would recommend is when you're talking to the camera angle the camera a little better, but all in all you're doing pretty good

Back