Channel Not So Awesome

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
The bane of my life I can assure you...I used to show a 30 second clip of the movie I was covering in my reviews. Now I've had to change how I run my channel and as a knock on I feel like I have to be underhanded just to present a straight fair use review of movies that dont get seen very often. and even then it doesnt stop the copyright hounds from trying to get a piece of the pie. theres going to be a breaking point with these really but Im very worried that the outcome wont go to the critics. and if that happens then theres going to be a hell of a purge on youtube some day...
Yeah, they also tried to rely on Blip.tv to host their content on the other site, but when that went down, they had to go back to Youtube. There's little to no reason to see the videos on Channel Awesome since you can just watch their videos directly from their Youtube channels.

Taz The Yorkie

Reaction score
Yeah, they also tried to rely on Blip.tv to host their content on the other site, but when that went down, they had to go back to Youtube. There's little to no reason to see the videos on Channel Awesome since you can just watch their videos directly from their Youtube channels.
I was wondering what the point of a “content aggregator” is anymore. It seems like a dated concept. Probably was a great idea 5 years ago.
Are there other websites like Channel Awesome still around?

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I was wondering what the point of a “content aggregator” is anymore. It seems like a dated concept. Probably was a great idea 5 years ago.
Are there other websites like Channel Awesome still around?
I guess at the time it worked cause no one really used Blip, but now you're right. Why bother going to Channel Awesome if you can just go straight to their actual Youtube Channel.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I've loved Channel Awesome since the beginning like a lot of people have. Was introduced to Doug and others (Linkara, Lupa, Phelous, Angry Joe, etc.) back in 2008 when Nostalgia Critic did his crossovers with Angry Video Game Nerd. Between 2008 - 2012 was a good time. I enjoyed the Anniversary videos they made (to an extent) and it showed me how many other content creators were out there plus I thought they were pretty entertaining. I've heard of people leaving but I thought it was because of "life" and other "job opportunities" that had got in the way. Nothing I really followed until Channel Awesome released there "we regret you sincerely felt that way" letter on Twitter that got me wondering what the heck they were talking about.

Now it all makes sense. The drama is horrible and as of this morning Channel Awesome released a statement saying they are backing up any of the accusations made from 15+ producers with "Facts" when all it has is a few screenshots and a video clip taken out of context while others are just replied to with "text" like I am typing now and calling it "facts." Probably would've been easier to apologize then respond in such a way. You can't tell me that everything all these producers are saying are lies when they all tell a similar story. I've never felt so disgusted after reading both sides of the story. Because I love Doug and his work. But I don't think I can watch his videos the same way again unless they do more then post a response on their website like they have done. I wish they could just get rid of Michaud (current CEO of Channel Awesome who owns the rights to Nostalgia Critic) but that would be too easy.

Accusations range from 1. No Food/water on set. 2. Being fired from being 15 minutes away from a computer. 3. Lack of communication. 4. Empty Promises. 5. Things handled unprofessionally. 6. Firing HR (Holly) and making her sign a contract saying she can't work in that field for 3 years just a day after her surgery. 7. Sexual Harassment. And so on. I recommend really reading the 69+ Page document called "Channel Not So Awesome Google Doc."

It's really heart breaking what you'll learn.

Taz The Yorkie

Reaction score
So Nostalgia Critic posted a new video last night. Already at 350k views and they still have over 1 million subscribers.

I think (from a business view only) they should just continue business as usual, don’t address it further. This bad press apparently has no impact on them or the publicity possibly has a little positive impact on their channel.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
So Nostalgia Critic posted a new video last night. Already at 350k views and they still have over 1 million subscribers.

I think (from a business view only) they should just continue business as usual, don’t address it further. This bad press apparently has no impact on them or the publicity possibly has a little positive impact on their channel.
I'm not sure how their actual site works, if it's dependent on views or not. Obviously Doug's own Youtube Channel would be fine (though the last video was full of people saying they lost all respect for him and unsubbing). But if the site itself (Channel Awesome) relies on views, I don't care how popular Doug is, the overall site would still get more views if Linkara, Angry Joe and the rest were still there posting as well.

The more the site is all about Doug the less need there is for it. Just watch his Youtube channel.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
To be honest I never heard of them.
Depends how long you've been on Youtube. The Nostalgia Critic was almost a little after Youtube took off. The Angry Video Game Nerd and himself kinda started the trend of portraying the character of an angry reviewer, and this was back in the day when being a Youtube partner was incredibly rare and 'meant something'. But yeah, he was way before all these modern day Youtubers and Youtube Rewind and all of that.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Depends how long you've been on Youtube. The Nostalgia Critic was almost a little after Youtube took off. The Angry Video Game Nerd and himself kinda started the trend of portraying the character of an angry reviewer, and this was back in the day when being a Youtube partner was incredibly rare and 'meant something'. But yeah, he was way before all these modern day Youtubers and Youtube Rewind and all of that.
I’ve been on for two years