Channel Not So Awesome

Mark Stise

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah, I'd really like to hear the story behind that. What made Doug give up his own character? I mean if he quits Channel Awesome, by all means Micheal can grab anyone else and have him portray TNC since he's just a character and not really Doug.
EXACTLY!!!!!

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Linkara left ???? Wow, I only just found out about that. Out of all the people who I thought would leave there, I did not think he would be one of them. One of my favorite old school YT channels. Jesus, things must be really bad over on channel awesome for him to leave.
IKR?? That surprised me too. I guess he just got tired of it.
I'm surprised MasakoX is there. I wonder if he'd want all that drama associated with him.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
LOL oh come on, they weren't that bad. I personally liked Doug's reviews BEFORE To Boldly Flee. It's just kinda weird and awkward now to watch them knowing what was really going on behind the scenes. I mean.... those crossover movies looked awesome and fun to be a part of... but I guess they weren't.

Reactions: Mark Stise

Mark Stise

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
LOL oh come on, they weren't that bad. I personally liked Doug's reviews BEFORE To Boldly Flee. It's just kinda weird and awkward now to watch them knowing what was really going on behind the scenes. I mean.... those crossover movies looked awesome and fun to be a part of... but I guess they weren't.
I always wanted Doug's reviews myself
I don't have a problem with it.
But for the other content creators
They clearly didn't seem to get their fair share.
I mean really did you read some of those complaints in that 68 page Google document.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I know.... I at one time wanted to apply to be on That Guy With The Glasses, but figured we wouldn't have been accepted. Looking back at stuff like people being told 'get your numbers up or you're out' without ever telling you what your numbers are, or being told some videos will be done by someone else because quite frankly 'no one really watches you' and all that, I'm really glad we never got in there.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think it shows that just because you can build a successful enterprise doesn't mean that the people in charge know what they are doing, or that they have anyone's best interests at heart. It's always interesting to me to see how many people will cover up bad behavior or let it go unchecked and for how long before something reaches the breaking point. Sad for all those hurt by it.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
The whole things gone very murky very quickly really...I've read the full 70 odd page document that was released recently about this and while a good chunk of it seems a little bit petty (There are quite a few instances of "I didnt like working on this film so I only did it 2 more times and they were awful!") There are several legitimate issues that had the higher ups had a basic working understanding of set etiquette and how to manage a group of people wouldnt have nearly been as bad. at the minute they only have 3 film critics left on the site now (Doug,Brad and Blockbuster buster) and the last of those could honestly go at any minute. Since January they've dropped from 50 creators and staff on the site to 14. and its heavily implied that numbers only going to drop further.They need to get there house in order and apologise properly for whats happened in the past. then its there choice really whether they move on from this or just stick to doing youtube stuff...Its such a shame it all ended up this way really as I used to really love Channel Awesome in the late 2000's/early 2010's...but this is a cautionary tale really that "Exposure" culture is at best morally bankrupt and at worst Exploitational. and that unless you make VERY clear boundaries Friends and work colleagues never mix.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
And to think... all of this basically started because Doug wanted to review movies with clips and whatnot without having to deal with Youtube's copyright policies. If they understood that you need to show something of what you're talking about to get the point across, there wouldn't have been a need for That Guy With The Glasses or Channel Awesome.

Reactions: TYTD

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
And to think... all of this basically started because Doug wanted to review movies with clips and whatnot without having to deal with Youtube's copyright policies. If they understood that you need to show something of what you're talking about to get the point across, there wouldn't have been a need for That Guy With The Glasses or Channel Awesome.
The bane of my life I can assure you...I used to show a 30 second clip of the movie I was covering in my reviews. Now I've had to change how I run my channel and as a knock on I feel like I have to be underhanded just to present a straight fair use review of movies that dont get seen very often. and even then it doesnt stop the copyright hounds from trying to get a piece of the pie. theres going to be a breaking point with these really but Im very worried that the outcome wont go to the critics. and if that happens then theres going to be a hell of a purge on youtube some day...