Channel names, custom URLs and YT possibilities.

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I've got a personalised channel URL but have less than 50 subs - so not sure how I got the personalised URL, it was from a long time ago when I started youtube, is the original channel name, and how that worked was probably different then.
Also its not the channel URL I would no prefer.

My channel name is LandyVlad Rides- I got the url of my original channel title... /user/LandRoverGunman
which is kind of annoying.

My other channel - simply called 'LandyVlad' (1 subscriber LOL) has the usual alphanumeric nonsense.
/channel/UCzynpslYxDAcwlye_YLO7Cg

I have a third channel (never intended it, somehow just happened back in the distant past when I first joined YouTube) called landyvlad (no upper case characters) which has a massive 7 subscribers, and only a few videos and has a channel url /user/landyvlad/

So as far as LandyVlad/landyvlad is concerned I have a channel with the correct channel title, but wrong URL, and one with the right url but incorrect channel title.....

I gather the channel name CAN be changed (while URL will stay the same)

So would the best option for me be to download the videos from
'LandyVlad' /channel/UCzynpslYxDAcwlye_YLO7Cg and upload them to
'landyvlad' url /user/landyvlad/

and then delete LandyVlad channel and rename landyvlad to LandyVlad (I want the channel name in capitals like that)

Lastly is /channel/ ... different somehow to /user/ ...
Or is it just that the format has changed over time?

Anyone have any idea how I should best approach these issues?

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
whether or not you want to restart is on you, BUT something you may like to know, is you don't need to type "/user". If you delete that part, it will bring you to the same channel.
Personally, I'm not sure if channel urls still mater in 2021.I don't know the last time I went to a channel page from a url outside of meeting people in person

If you made your channel a long time ago then you didn't have to deal with the sub limit for channel urls. I think after YouTube realized that a lot of channels were taking all the "good" urls in 2015/2016 they added that restriction. You used to be able to make your url as soon as you made your account.

/channel/ is just the way new channels urls are done. users is a legacy youtube account based on the old system where every account was a youtube channel

I
suggest reading this article to help you make your choice - [Link Here]

- all the best

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks mate.
My main concern is to ensure that after everything I delete the CORRECT (unwanted) channel and no tone of the others by accident...

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
OK so I did some research and found a number of google accounts, some of which had YouTube accounts in their own name and one of which has a number of brand channels associated with it.

There were two channels named Buy Used Guns - under separate email addresses (no idea how two channels could have the same name). In any event I managed to properly and safely delete the 'stand alone (non brand) channel that I didn't require.
(Neither had videos as yet anyway so no real risk anyway).

Looking at to particular channels :
'LandyVlad' is associated with my google account. <-- this is the channel I want to RETAIN.
'landyvlad' (all small letters) is evidently NOT associated with my google account.

I don't appear to have any email or login details to 'landyvlad'. Is there any way of obtaining that from YouTube (ultimately I want to delete that channel, once I have downloaded some hidden content from it)

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hmm found this:

So I need to:
1. log into my google account
2. go to www.youtube.com/gaia_link
3. complete old channel name and password.

Naturally I don't remember the password for the old account.
and...
If the YouTube is still legacy (i.e. made before May 2009 and not yet linked to a Google Account) then use the legacy username (custom URL) and legacy password (if you don't know it then you must know the legacy email, which might not be a Gmail, and be able to use it to make a Google Account with, and then sign into that)
and
There are no other access options, because access to the YouTube channel (either through Gaia linking or by signing into the Google Account) is how you verify ownership, no other way.
Unfortunately Katy's helpful previous post on the matter doesn't have any solutions which work for my current situation. How to recover a very old youtube account? | YouTube Forum | The #1 YouTube Community | Video Editing, Branding & YouTube Help (yttalk.com)

The 'official?' YouTube help community has some more detail
Old Account Login - YouTube Community (google.com)
but again nothing I can action, given I don't know what email address or password would have been used.

Basically if I can't remember my old email / password I am stuffed :)

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Someone suggested commenting on a video on the channel as it will send a notification to the relevant email and if I still have that email I'll then know...
So on the off-chance I still have that email I looked at a video (using google chrome)
and it says “Restricted Mode has hidden comments for this video”.

So what on earth is 'restricted mode' and why would that be in place?

Reactions: Nicekid76

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
restricted mode means you or maybe youtube has set your comments to have to be manually approved. you should still get an email

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hmm all good I managed to do some juggling worked out what was what and deleted the unwanted channel.

I think.

Not sure if that was before or after you submitted a comment but I didn't get any notification at any rate.
I suspect it was an old email address with an ISP that doesn't even exist any more.