Channel Identity

The Casualcore Gamer

Member of the National Sarcasm Society
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello! I run a channel called The Casualcore Gamer. I want to talk about channel identity. I mean, my name comes from the fact that one moment I can be super casual about a game, and the next I can be the most hardcore addicted play ever in existence, but that doesn't really give my channel an identity.

I believe that people have to have something unique about them when they start a channel, and for me, it's probably my gift for sarcasm, one liners, and humor in general. That's what I'm known for in my personal life--being able to react and come up with something funny and sarcastic off the top of my head and on the spot. People look for my reaction, and I've been told that I'm a deadly mix of Chandler Bing, Dorothy Zbornak, and Grumpy Cat xPPPPP

But, how do I turn something like that into an identity for my channel when most people like gamers who are a bit...obnoxious? I mean, people love Pewdz and Markiplier, but even though I love them both, I can see it's because they're loud and outrageous, and I'm so chilled out and kind of monotone and deadpan. I've definitely been trying to work on that, but I'm also thinking of ways to capitalize on my gift for sarcastic gab. I thought about creating a separate channel for sarcastic videos, like daily doses of sarcasm--short videos and reactions and stuff, but do I create a new channel for that, or incorporate that into my gaming channel. Please let me know what you think would be best, and what you do/did to create an identity for your channel!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
and for me, it's probably my gift for sarcasm, one liners, and humor in general.
Well, there you have it! I feel like your channel branding should be focussed on you, since that is your unique selling point. When you have a gaming channel, you have two ways you can brand yourself: Branding through games/gameplays and Branding through the person. If you are not extremely focussed on playing different games than other gaming channels, you will have to focus your branding on yourself.

A lot of people watch gaming channels just for the person who plays the game (I'm guilty of this myself, I don't watch gaming channels at all, except Dan and Phil Games). So use your personality as your unique selling point.
I thought about creating a separate channel for sarcastic videos, like daily doses of sarcasm--short videos and reactions and stuff, but do I create a new channel for that, or incorporate that into my gaming channel.
I would use this in your gaming channel! If you keep the skits gaming related, such as reacting on new games or gaming news, that could be a potential hook (and a pretty good niche) to draw an audience in. Just, you be you. I think that is your best bet on channel branding.

The Casualcore Gamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well, there you have it! I feel like your channel branding should be focussed on you, since that is your unique selling point. When you have a gaming channel, you have two ways you can brand yourself: Branding through games/gameplays and Branding through the person. If you are not extremely focussed on playing different games than other gaming channels, you will have to focus your branding on yourself.

A lot of people watch gaming channels just for the person who plays the game (I'm guilty of this myself, I don't watch gaming channels at all, except Dan and Phil Games). So use your personality as your unique selling point.

I would use this in your gaming channel! If you keep the skits gaming related, such as reacting on new games or gaming news, that could be a potential hook (and a pretty good niche) to draw an audience in. Just, you be you. I think that is your best bet on channel branding.
Thank you so much for your input on my channel, and it's identity. While I do plan on creating a separate channel for music/video/movie reactions and sarcastic life videos, I'm definitely going to inject the sarcastic humor stuff into my gaming channel with gaming reactions. I have an idea now of what kind of videos I need to start mixing in with my Let's Plays. Thanks a lot! Also, I LOVE Dan and Phil ^_^

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
All I can really suggest is 2 things; Firstly make sure your branding is as consistent as it is physically possible to be, make a logo that is easily hand drawn by anyone young or old, choose a specific font and apply it across anything your videos touch. Channel art, avatars, thumbnails, in video text, anything your produce needs to be uniform because once you build up a strong brand identity then its just a case of making sure your content is consistently top notch. even then it'll be a slow grind to get up there but I suppose the best analogy I can think of is it's a bit like wearing a bulletproof vest to a gunfight...yeh you wont kill anyone; but you'll be glad you wore it if you get shot.

and secondly; make sure your branding looks good on all the platforms it can be viewed on. This ones a bit more of a pain really because obviously how youtube looks on your TV and how it looks on your mobile are going to be wildly different, but getting it right could make the difference between the extra few subscribers or not. Also; i'd say theres a fine line between picking colours and designs that look cool and choosing colours based on your content. Blue as a colour often implies a cold or cool quality subliminally whereas red's and oranges suggest more firey or angry personas so I would take a look at what kind of content your producing and pick a colour that reflects the emotions that are in your video :) it can make the difference quite significantly :)

The Casualcore Gamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
All I can really suggest is 2 things; Firstly make sure your branding is as consistent as it is physically possible to be, make a logo that is easily hand drawn by anyone young or old, choose a specific font and apply it across anything your videos touch. Channel art, avatars, thumbnails, in video text, anything your produce needs to be uniform because once you build up a strong brand identity then its just a case of making sure your content is consistently top notch. even then it'll be a slow grind to get up there but I suppose the best analogy I can think of is it's a bit like wearing a bulletproof vest to a gunfight...yeh you wont kill anyone; but you'll be glad you wore it if you get shot.

and secondly; make sure your branding looks good on all the platforms it can be viewed on. This ones a bit more of a pain really because obviously how youtube looks on your TV and how it looks on your mobile are going to be wildly different, but getting it right could make the difference between the extra few subscribers or not. Also; i'd say theres a fine line between picking colours and designs that look cool and choosing colours based on your content. Blue as a colour often implies a cold or cool quality subliminally whereas red's and oranges suggest more firey or angry personas so I would take a look at what kind of content your producing and pick a colour that reflects the emotions that are in your video :) it can make the difference quite significantly :)
Thanks so much for your feedback! I am working hard on the branding and the channel art/icon believe me ^_^ I followed a tutorial for the banner i have now, but i think im going to create something new soon, but i definitely want to take the blue color and run with it. I like the blue and dark gray/black because that is my personality--kind of chilled, with some icy sarcasm =P I'm creating branded thumbnail templates as we speak. Thanks again for taking the time to give me some feedback!

Reactions: TYTD