Channel Collaborations - Do they work?

FPL Centre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Even though I'm very new, I have the chance to collab with a slightly bigger channel (roughly 1400 subs, averaging 500-1000 views per video) in the same niche since they really like one of my ideas.

They suggest setting up a separate channel & social media accounts specifically for this series and for both of us to then direct traffic to the new channel & hopefully both grow our existing channels in the process.

Is this something anyone here has done in the past? Does it work in growing your existing channel or is it just, as my instinct tells me, saturating a niche & spreading a viewer base too thin?

Kyonite

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian
I don't think it could hurt you in any way. Like, think about it like Game Grumps or whatever, right? Egoraptor and Jontron, both single channels that were super good. They make Game Grumps, they become bigger than ever before on that channel and that only drives their newer viewers over to their personal channels. In what way do you think this could be "spreading a viewer base too thin?"

Reactions: FPL Centre

FPL Centre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't think it could hurt you in any way. Like, think about it like Game Grumps or whatever, right? Egoraptor and Jontron, both single channels that were super good. They make Game Grumps, they become bigger than ever before on that channel and that only drives their newer viewers over to their personal channels. In what way do you think this could be "spreading a viewer base too thin?"
I don't know, it's just an instinctual thing that my first reaction was to question it like that, I see what you mean though & yeah it could work well.

ProXima123

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
collaborations definitely help! I haven't collaborated with anyone yet, although I have had a few emails asking me to collaborate with them. Collaborating with other channels will help expose their channels viewers to yours, and vice versa!

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Collaborations can definitely help your and even you don’t gain anything from you’re not losing anything by collaborating with different YouTubers, who knows you might even make new friends.