Channel and Video Review for a Newbie, Please

irishman42

Candlejack. Candl
Hi guys,
So I decided to start making Let's Plays about a week ago as a hobby. I've started with the game DayZ but plan to move on to some other titles soon. Before I do though, I want to try to improve my videos in any way possible to make them more enjoyable for the viewers.

1. Are there any aspects of my videos and channel that need improvement or are effective and entertaining?
2. Are the sound levels on my videos alright?
3. How can I improve my commentary?
4. Do I just flat out suck?

Please be brutally honest. Criticism is the key to improvement.

Channel link: http://www.youtube.com/user/MiddleEarthMaster?feature=mhee

Just a friendly bump. Please don't hate me.
You can bump without posting a message in the thread.

Hi guys,
See my response below.

So I decided to start making Let's Plays about a week ago as a hobby. I've started with the game DayZ but plan to move on to some other titles soon. Before I do though, I want to try to improve my videos in any way possible to make them more enjoyable for the viewers.

1. Are there any aspects of my videos and channel that need improvement or are effective and entertaining?
I only watched the video you posted on this post. Nice looking game. One problem... you are running sooooooooooooo much. You boast about how good it feels to get a head shot and, while you are talking a lot, there truly is no action going on. Don't tell me how good you are, SHOW ME HOW GOOD YOU ARE. You don't have an annoying tone of voice, which is a major plus, but I feel you are trying to fill a lot of empty space with commentary that just becomes almost pointless. It actually starts to get boring. Is this a walkthrough? If so, you have to state it in the beginning and you pretty much have to show everything. But I have a feeling this isn't a walkthrough... and if it's not a walkthrough, why not fast-forward to the juicy bits? Why show all the grunts and grinds... all the running... all the boring stuff? A little more editing, and your videos will be more pleasurable to watch.

Also, for first person shooters, editing your videos to make the shots look even nicer is KEY. You want to gain your viewers attention through beautiful visuals. While the game itself has nice graphics, you enhance it further with effects. Look up, "Action Essentials 2". If you can incorporate that into your videos, I promise you the quality of your videos will shine.

2. Are the sound levels on my videos alright?
Sound level is clear.

3. How can I improve my commentary?
Refer back to #1. When you feel you are filling in awkward silences, that means it's probably best to just fast forward or edit it out. I actually like how you don't swear in your videos (at least I didn't hear any... sorry, I couldn't bear watching the entire video). I find swearing to be overly obnoxious and unnecessary. Remember, on games like this, you are probably highlighting certain skills or goals accomplished. Much commentary is unneeded. So long as the action is there, you can say whatever you desire in correlation to the action and people will approve.

4. Do I just flat out suck?
Naw dude. But there is definitely room for improvement. ;)

Please be brutally honest. Criticism is the key to improvement.

Channel link: http://www.youtube.com/user/MiddleEarthMaster?feature=mhee

Brutal opinion? YouTube needs another Let's Play channel as much as any fps multiplayer needs another Sniper. In the future, edit down your travel between destinations, filmmaking is as Hitchcock puts it "...life minus all the boring bits" Your commentary either needs to reflect the gameplay more (especially in a humorous way like a machinema would) or be more compelling to create dialogue with your viewers. This could've been an awesome 3 minute video.

Thanks guys! This is all great advice. I'll definitely start shortening my videos in future. I tried watching one of them and it was hard for me to get through it. :p

Honestly, that's how I check to see if a video is ready to be published. If I find my thoughts trailing off as I watch it, I start cutting away things I thought I liked. Then the funny bits become funnier as they are given their own focus. And with more of the dead space trimmed theres more to focus on, and modern audiences need loads of content.

I liked your vid. When you come with ideas that you want to talk about through your video maybe just jot them down on a piece of paper and keep it handy. It will make you recall things more fluidly during your commentary.

Back