Channel advice requested...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice. A little background on me first. I'm 46, I'm on a lot of forums, and always go by the same avatar and the username Scratch when it's available. It's my nickname in real life. I'm also a Jeep-a-holic (I have 9 of them right now) so a lot of people online and in real life, know me as Scratch, the Jeep guy... hence my backup username on here (Scratch was taken)

I started my account on YT back in 2007, but it was just for fun, I never thought I'd upload more than a couple videos, and just for fun anyways, but within the past two years I think... I started making videos with my quadcopters, then started making better quality, more outdoorsy videos about firearms, firearm accessories, shooting videos, reviews, and also camping and bushcraft related videos.
About 5 years ago, I was in an accident and don't drive anymore because of health reasons, so I probably won't be making any Jeep related videos, but I still want to make more videos, mostly about camping, and firearms, and possibly a good drone video every now and then with my Phantom 3 Advanced.

The problem is my "Scratchthejeepguy" YT channel has a pretty good start to it already, with over 285,000 views, over 600 subs, and more than 100 videos. But I still feel like my username is misleading or confusing since I don't do any Jeeping in them, and I feel my username should be something outdoorsy... I just don't want to start over again.

Im in the process of getting better equipment now, I have a DSLR, just ordered a new PC, and am researching editing software. (I've edited most of my videos on iMovie on an iPad) Once the new PC comes in this week, I'll be working on my banner, better and more consistent thumbnails, some sort of logo, etc... But I'm wondering if I need to start all over, or if you all think I'm ok with my "Scratchthejeepguy" channel name as it is.
Also... should I focus on just one thing, firearms or camping? And not post any quadcopter videos or random stuff, or do you all think it's ok to have camping and firearms videos, with some quality drone videos also, since all three of those things are all done outdoors?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I'll gladly take it!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Can you not maybe change your name or make a video explaining that you won't be making jeep videos anymore?

Reaction score
Well, I actually never made any Jeep videos. I'm just known as "Scratch... That guy with all the Jeeps" by people in real and online, so that's what I named my channel back then. I never actually made any Jeep videos... Although now that I think about it... I have no idea why I never did!

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I came across this post when I did a search for "Jeeps" since we make Jeep videos (wanted to find my competition!). I know this is an old post but i'm curious what you ended up doing? I just checked your channel and it looks like you kept the old channel and name? (That would have been my vote). The last few videos look/sound great BTW (great quality/well done).

Reactions: Scratchthejeepguy

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I came across this post when I did a search for "Jeeps" since we make Jeep videos (wanted to find my competition!). I know this is an old post but i'm curious what you ended up doing? I just checked your channel and it looks like you kept the old channel and name? (That would have been my vote). The last few videos look/sound great BTW (great quality/well done).

Hi and welcome to YTtalk. :)

This thread is from June 2016. Please don't bump very old threads - It is likely that some of the people are no longer active here and it is very confusing for those who are. (OP hasn't been online since November so it's unlikely you'll get a reply.)

Status
Not open for further replies.