Changing YouTube Username - How to create a channel/username

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is a guide for anyone signing up to YouTube again, recent changes to YouTube mean you need to create a channel username in order to hide your Google Accounts first and last name from showing on your channel. This guide will also help you get rid of the poor YouTube URLs which no one can really use to find your channel.

Step 1: Make your new Google Account and then visit YouTube.com. Once there you can click create account and it will automatically make you a YouTube account.

Now at the top click the small drop down arrow:

1.png

Step 2: Now click YouTube Settings where I have highlighted below:

2.png

Step 3: Now click the Create a Channel link next to your email address:

3.png

Step 4: Check the boxes you would like on or off and then click the big blue button to continue:

4.png

You will now be redirected back to your new channel, you will notice you have your full name showing and this is not what most people want. At present you will also have the new "Ugly channel URLs" which are not user friendly.

Step 5: Now click the drop down by your icon at the top like we did in the first step and then click YouTube Settings again.

5.png

Step 6: Now click on the advanced link:

6.png

Step 7: Now click on Create Username:

7.png

Step 8: Fill in your desired username and see if its available, you cannot change this username once you have set it so please make sure you like the username and it is suited to your videos/brand.

8.png

You must check the I understand that my channel will be renamed and then click Create Username.

You will then be all done and redirect to your channel, when sharing your channel now you can simply give people your username, for example it could be MyNewUsername and no longer Martin Thompson.

Congratulations!

I hope this helps those out who are new to YouTube and having difficulty with the new rather over complicated create a username system.

Thanks for reading :)

Reactions: macintoshhelper

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
haha I thought it was you who had figured it out before. I could not find the original post but I remember reading it ..

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
haha I thought it was you who had figured it out before. I could not find the original post but I remember reading it ..
I think I must have come across it roughly when it was first changed over when I signed up with YTtalkTV this is the 8 steps I had to go through, I couldnt remember the exact ones with it being so long so made a new one for this guide :)

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I thought the same myself as writing it, changing the username be shoved in peoples faces once they create their account given its importance in a pop up or something.

ForeverAlonePrick

I don't know what's going on.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Wow, is that over-complicated. Youtube kind of sucks nowadays for new users. :p
Thanks for posting this, so others can use it!

Stef

STEF SZN
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Kind of off topic but not really I sort of want to create a new channel because I don't like my channel name (I really should have just created a new account in the first place) but I don't know. And yeah it does all seem overly complicated...but I'm sure it's all apart of them trying to make Google + happen. You should make a video about it for YTtalkTV, I'm sure it would do quite well.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Kind of off topic but not really I sort of want to create a new channel because I don't like my channel name (I really should have just created a new account in the first place) but I don't know. And yeah it does all seem overly complicated...but I'm sure it's all apart of them trying to make Google + happen. You should make a video about it for YTtalkTV, I'm sure it would do quite well.
I should do that, my microphone sort of works just not audio through the headset and I could easily record my screen through the process, I wont be able to do the whole sign up process however, only the changing your username part :)

maSkraP

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Wow, I could hug you bro.
But I won't.
Thanks for the big help here.
--- merged: Jun 2, 2012 at 12:13 AM ---
Wow, I could hug you bro.
But I won't.
Thanks for the big help here.
MY FRIGGIN LINK ACTUALLY WORKS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Michael