changing Thumbnails affects YT stats?

martingray360

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Do you know/think if changing thumbnails affects YT stats in anyway and do you have experience with community reaction?

My channel is pretty much game where you find Pokemon in cool places in 360 degree videos. I have 3 difficulty levels, so yesterday I decided to change thumbnails to make it easier to find correct level, but half way through I freaked out if that would affect my channel negatively.

Last edited by a moderator:

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I find it makes a big difference.

I went back and changed a load of old video thumbnails (to improved thumbnails) and it increased viewing.

Reactions: markkaz

martingray360

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses! I checked creator studio and they even have questionnaire to help to determine if one should change thumbnails, so it was very helpful.

For now I updated 10 newest one, but I left older the best performing for now.

Rafij Rahman Rohan

Be Yourself
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeap it's make a huge deference.Cause thumbnail is the main key to attract people towards your videos.So if you have a better thumbnail & you want to change your old thumbnail definitely it will be a much better idea to change your thumbnail :)

Reactions: martingray360

zaffron

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
of course it will grab reader's attention towards your content. Without thumbnail your channel will look non-professional. You can make a thumbnail model for your videos and then you can change it easily for every new video.

borisv

Reaction score
I know this post is old but as September 2017, this week I replaced all my thumbnail to make it look better, and affected my youtube suggestion in a negative way, I was getting around 16000 visits a day and it has dropped to 7000 and going down, it looks the algorithm take it as suspicious if you replace your thumbnails nowadays...

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
I know this post is old but as September 2017, this week I replaced all my thumbnail to make it look better, and affected my youtube suggestion in a negative way, I was getting around 16000 visits a day and it has dropped to 7000 and going down, it looks the algorithm take it as suspicious if you replace your thumbnails nowadays...
We just had a thread about this about a week ago and I suggested that the poster not do it because in my experience it has affected ranking and the placement in suggested videos. I have a test/experimental channel so I tried it on a whim and it definitely affected the ranking. Sorry that you didn't spot the thread. It's happened to me too. It sucks.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes thumbnails can make a big difference in views, I changed a couple thumbnails and I gained more views on those videos. I don’t think it would affect it in a negative way