Changing the Category of Your YouTube Channel

angietalksalot

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey YTTalkers! I know this is probably a really dumb question, but how do I change the category of my YouTube Channel? I know how to do it for my individual videos, but not for my overall channel. I made my channel 6 years ago and put it into a category that I no longer want it in, if anyone could please help me with this that would be fantastic! Thanks! :)

UnboxingSve

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
That is what I wondered for myself also. Where do you see your category now? I see that showing up only on the social blade. For my channel, it shows People. I don`t remember that I never put that anywhere. I asked a similar question to some other thread and they explained to me that it depends on the category of your individual videos. So for the new videos choose the category you wish now to be, and hopefully, when you have a solid amount of new videos with the new category, it will change the overal category of your channel as well. For me, it is still People even I went over my all videos and changed the category to Science and Tech. I hope it will change as I now put all my new videos to same category Tech.

Rafij Rahman Rohan

Be Yourself
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Heres how can you change youtube videos category "Select a video, and click the small arrow located next to the Edit button. Then go to Info and Settings > Advanced Settings: Click the Category Menu and make your new selection: To finish, click Save Changes."

Btw, you have to upload a good amount of videos in order to change your channel category on places like Socialblade.

Reactions: Crown

angietalksalot

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That is what I wondered for myself also. Where do you see your category now? I see that showing up only on the social blade. For my channel, it shows People. I don`t remember that I never put that anywhere. I asked a similar question to some other thread and they explained to me that it depends on the category of your individual videos. So for the new videos choose the category you wish now to be, and hopefully, when you have a solid amount of new videos with the new category, it will change the overal category of your channel as well. For me, it is still People even I went over my all videos and changed the category to Science and Tech. I hope it will change as I now put all my new videos to same category Tech.
Yes, the only place that I see it is on SocialBlade as well and mine also says people. I do not remember putting people as my category, I could have sworn I put it as entertainment. Nonetheless, the video category thing makes sense. I know that years ago you could search for channels based on category, but I do not think that is an option anymore so I can see why they omitted it. Thanks for your response! :)[DOUBLEPOST=1502502546,1502502451][/DOUBLEPOST]T
Heres how can you change youtube videos category "Select a video, and click the small arrow located next to the Edit button. Then go to Info and Settings > Advanced Settings: Click the Category Menu and make your new selection: To finish, click Save Changes."

Btw, you have to upload a good amount of videos in order to change your channel category on places like Socialblade.
Thanks for your response! I realized now that you can only change category per video, not by channel type anymore. Like I said above ^^^ my channel says people on Social Blade. If it does not mess with my rankings then I do not mind. I was just curious as to why I could no longer change it.

Bennett's Playtime

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
You can change your channel category. In creator studio click channel (left hand column). Then Upload Defaults. Then change the category.

Note: This might just make sure all future videos are automatically uploaded in the right category without having to do it manually. Not positive if if actually changes your channel category.