Changing Channel tags

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! I downloaded few already
I used smoke stock footage from here: videocopilot.net /blog/2011/12/new-tutorial-and-free-stock-footage/ (sorry can't post proper link)
It's done using alpha channel so no need to remove green screen.[DOUBLEPOST=1507491797,1507491614][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm going to try tags on tonight's video, very interested to see the results! But it's hard to tell without proper A/B testing if any traffic is due to what, there are just so many factors involved.

Yep true about the lights. Probably not so much the lights, but their shooting technique is good, definitely not a first video (if I compare to my first one, or some other first ones I've seen). Of course the guys can also have experience just with normal home movies or some other projects which greatly diminishes the learning curve.

Yep consistency and keyword concentration are key until you build your audience over a certain tipping point. At that time, they will watch even if you go off trend or do your own stuff. EmilyTube and ToysToSee are great example, no matter what they do they have an audience.
I think they also might be whom I call "quick learners". You are right about the audience. I noticed for kids channels, unless you are very big, only about 5% of subscribers would watch videos in the first 2 days. Not sure if the same for non-kids niche.

Reactions: Gamayun

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I used smoke stock footage from here: videocopilot.net /blog/2011/12/new-tutorial-and-free-stock-footage/ (sorry can't post proper link)
It's done using alpha channel so no need to remove green screen.[DOUBLEPOST=1507491797,1507491614][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think they also might be whom I call "quick learners". You are right about the audience. I noticed for kids channels, unless you are very big, only about 5% of subscribers would watch videos in the first 2 days. Not sure if the same for non-kids niche.
Kids/toys generally seem to be stuck in the 5% range due to ingrained factors. Other verticals are quite different, I hear beauty/makeup sub % viewership is fairly large, so are vlogs and family type channels. But I would also guess that someone like Tiara from Toys&Me would have a larger subscriber viewership as her fans would be older (and hence have their own devices) and she would have a strong personal following, as opposed to a learn colors me2 startup that is trendy and tag shadowing but has not built that personal connection with viewers.

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Yep, totally agree - unless the channel is for the whole family, it would only be 5% max. I released a new video yesterday and at the moment have 7 views - 2 from me and 5 from someone else. I have 70 subs (all are non-S4S but most from adwords).

If you have some time for investigations, detective KTR, what do you think about this one: UC40djlNzUdLyzB9ujxCENYA What made it perform so well straight from the beginnings? Looks like no networks/redirects are involved.

And on the other hand, why this one doesn't perform better despite following the trends and quality being OK? UCVJtqUt7nnRByWoPlZzLqvQ

Thanks!

Gamayun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think that most at drawing-painting-coloring getting 5% unless they pay for ads.[DOUBLEPOST=1507607455][/DOUBLEPOST]
For the limited special effects I have done so far, I mostly search for free green screen footage on Yt:
youtube.com/results?search_query=green+screen+smoke

I user Premiere, so it's a simple UltraKey effect and it's done! I have as yet to make strides in AE, I have tried twice, and both times the complexity of the workflow perplexed me. Just need patience, free time and more time...

You know the coloring craze for kids channels came about as a result of the adult coloring books craze of 2-3 years ago. Something like 30+ coloring books were in the top 100 on Amazon. Everywhere you looked, they were for sale: newsagents, Kmart, supermarkets, everywhere. Now they pretty much died out, book wise. Some industrious forward thinking channel brought the format over to kids youtube, where it apparently exploded. I would think that vertical is pretty much topped out, if not in decline. Learn colors is at the top now, but look for a decline into Christmas. We need to watch very carefully what is the new trend.

I think an interesting way to detect the next big trend - it first starts with big channels running the new type videos, then it gets filtered down to the smaller channels. If the trend is hot, channels pop open to capitalize specifically on the trend. How many thousands of learn colors channels are there now? Same for coloring, same for giant eggs and surprise eggs back in the goold old days. So look for that crux when every channel is doing a video to when the big channels start popping open secondary channels on the craze. That's the start of the trend and the point to jump in.[DOUBLEPOST=1507437047,1507436941][/DOUBLEPOST]

Thanks, didn't know this one!
This days in coloring and painting trending subjects are - poop, hearts,circles and hundreds channels repeating this. I decided to draw trains form Thomasand Friends ,create train fans base that will watch every train drawing I do. I design all of my drawings myself and it takes a bit of time but no one doing it now the way I do. I am additing smoke effects and will add more staff later that will make a child watch learn and hopefully draw the picture later. I am planing to upload free PDF of my trains to Patreon may be in a month or two.Plans plans I need more day time to execute them

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
I think that most at drawing-painting-coloring getting 5% unless they pay for ads.[DOUBLEPOST=1507607455][/DOUBLEPOST]

This days in coloring and painting trending subjects are - poop, hearts,circles and hundreds channels repeating this. I decided to draw trains form Thomasand Friends ,create train fans base that will watch every train drawing I do. I design all of my drawings myself and it takes a bit of time but no one doing it now the way I do. I am additing smoke effects and will add more staff later that will make a child watch learn and hopefully draw the picture later. I am planing to upload free PDF of my trains to Patreon may be in a month or two.Plans plans I need more day time to execute them
Thanks for your insight into drawing area. Good luck with all your ideas!

Imaginary Dave

Reaction score
Just on hash tags...

I think the reason why hash tags are just coming in to the fore is because they were only enabled in the spring of 2016 - apparently without any specific announcement. Possibly to avoid the PR consequence of being seen as moving into Twitter's space.

I could be way wrong about this, but I recollect reading when I first started on YT that hash tagging was even considered a community use violation and it could get your channel into hot water with a strike. I think that's why nobody was doing it. If that was ever true, that doesn't appear to be the case now.

Additional points:

If you search a hash tag, your search result only produces videos with that specific tag in the title or description.

Use sparingly, I read using 15 or more hashtags results in all hashtags being ignored. My guess is if you use too many you get a weaker ranking on each one.

Last edited: