Challenges youtubers face when selecting music for videos

digital logic

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been wondering what sort of challenges and hurdles new content creators face when going through the process of searching, gathering, and editing songs to your videos?

Some points that have come across my train of thought are:

• Quality of song - sounds too amateurish

• Not sure if video will get a copyright strike

• Song too long

• Cannot find appropriate song for the theme of the video

• Searching cloud based providers takes too long - would rather be creating/editing video

• Would love different variations of one song to incorporate throughout video (beginning, middle, and end)
This is just a inquiry based post and any+all feedback is welcome! I'd love to know what your top 3 challenges are!

Reactions: videoeditgr

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use the same background for all of my videos (at least all the videos I choose to go with music) I got a guy to compose and make my music for my videos, that way I wont get copy right problems. I knew right from the start that I needed music for most of my videos so it seemed like the right thing to do

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Back in 2011-2015, I used to perform the music on my own Korg PA50, but it sounded too amateurish and when I wrote professional synth, viewers were asking where is the professional?

Back then YouTube was asking for rights of the used content, so I got written permission from Korg themselves and gave it to YouTube.

Nevertheless, I still had some bogus copyright claims that were cleared.

As I don't own a studio, I was recording the music using a Mac laptop from 2002, so the quality of the recording wasn't too exciting as well. Anyway, my music career with the synth ended, when I saw too many dislikes because of the bad music. Choosing the right music is very hard.

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I solely use the music Youtube provides now. The only problems I find are that there's such a big selection and finding the right mood for whatever video I am working on. Which aren't really problems... just challenges of a sort.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
  • Quality of song - sounds too amateurish "no such thing! Maybe irrelevant or bad chosen music but never amateurish"
  • Not sure if video will get a copyright strike "upload an audio draft, you will know in seconds!"
  • Song too long "is that videos you think that you edit? All tools work for audio too! Fade it or cut it and assemble again to your needs"
  • Cannot find appropriate song for the theme of the video "listen to more music, not your favorite, any music"
  • Searching cloud based providers takes too long - would rather be creating/editing video "search by lyrics, (ok it works for me) google search with human terms, and again listen to more music!"
  • Would love different variations of one song to incorporate throughout video (beginning, middle, and end) "search covers, metal, rock, vocal, polka, trap, techno, pop etc"
Hope it helps :)

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I solely use the music Youtube provides now. The only problems I find are that there's such a big selection and finding the right mood for whatever video I am working on. Which aren't really problems... just challenges of a sort.
I'd say their selection is ridiculously tiny tbh. Even when you click the 'ALL SONGS' tab, it only takes about 10 seconds of scrolling down to reach the bottom. And the worst thing is the editor itself: you can't even repeat the song if ever it was a bit shorter in length than the video, so you have to pick a song that's necessarily a bit longer than the vid, and most vids are above 5min right, and they don't have that many songs worth a darn over 6-7min (not that the shorter ones are gold).

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would say that music is probably the most important aspect you can use to add quality and improve your videos. For me, every night, I search YouTube for around an hour or so for music that I like, and music that would be good in videos, and I only use stuff that I actually truly love. Over the past year, I've gathered around 200-250 tracks that I use for my videos, and I am still learning the flow of each one. I actually have a method for making montages look better too, which is actually kinda weird. I play a game called Osu!, which is a Japanese rhythm game with a huge following. I find the song I'm going to use on there or ask a friend to make a beatmap for the song, and then play the song until I beat the level flawlessly. This is a great way for me to relieve stress, and it helps me learn the flow of the song so that I know what clips I should save for when, where are the important beats are, and other stuff that helps me sync the visuals with the music. The best way to find music is to just watch other people's videos, find the music that they use and you like, and then turn on auto-play. It shows other songs that people liked if they did like that video. Soundcloud is good too, but I have still been struggling to find music on there that I feel is what I want for my videos. Since I make a lot of funny moments videos, most of the music that is good for that is drastically over-used, therefore giving the video a tacky feel. I hope this helped you!

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd say their selection is ridiculously tiny tbh. Even when you click the 'ALL SONGS' tab, it only takes about 10 seconds of scrolling down to reach the bottom. And the worst thing is the editor itself: you can't even repeat the song if ever it was a bit shorter in length than the video, so you have to pick a song that's necessarily a bit longer than the vid, and most vids are above 5min right, and they don't have that many songs worth a darn over 6-7min (not that the shorter ones are gold).
Hmmm... maybe check again. I went to the YT music page to see if I was mistaken. I scrolled to the bottom and and new set of songs came up, I scrolled again, new set came up.... I kept doing this for a few minutes seeing if I could come to the end of the selections and ran out of patience before I ran out of songs : )

Reactions: videoeditgr

GeekOvision

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Honestly, I'd say the best thing to do for music would be to think about what music you love and then weed out the music that doesn't fit the theme afterward. When it comes to copyright, you could always find lyricless renditions or remixes and then ask for permission from the creator before use. For me, it's a little easier to get music, as I usually pull music from video games I enjoy. But... that method is more likely to get a copyright claim, especially if using music from more protective companies (Nintendo, etc.). But, in the end, do what works best for you! Experiment a bit, as this process works differently for everyone :)

Reactions: PhysicsFreak101